Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are lawn vacs any good?

Hey guys,
are those lawn vacs any good? like the billygoat kind? for residential accounts?
thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I have a craftsman that I picked up for next to nothing. The billy goat is great, the 11 hp billy goat is really great. I also have a sthil hand held vac/blower and is good for gettin hedge clippings out of pine straw.

I will add that its not an eaisy answer to leaf removal, to which I dont think there is one.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yea cause i did a lawn today with a fair amount of leaves, mowed them up in the lawn and realised it didnt look good enough for my customer, then i had to rake up about 2 bushes of chewed up leaves.
best answer is a debris loader, but i dont want to spend $2500 with my setup at the moment.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Are lawn vacs any good?

Try a mulch kit if u don't have one
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know what kind of mower you have. But Ill much leaves and then take the mulch plate off and bag the mulched leaves.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I dont know what kind of mower you have. But Ill much leaves and then take the mulch plate off and bag the mulched leaves.
It doesn't matter. He wanted to know if lawn vacs are any good. LOL

Don't you just love these types of threads? They have so much information that you don't know where to start. Kinda like these new guys wanting to cut grass but don't have a clue.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are lawn vacs any good?

They're good in the correct application. I have a dr vac for sale in PA
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
They're good in the correct application. I have a dr vac for sale in PA
Correct, in the right application. I borrowed one off of my buddy to do a couple of cleanups a few years ago. It was too cumbersome and time consuming for my application. I could see how they could be useful on very small properties or fenced in yards. It also was not very good on hills and the bag filled up too fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I purchased a (new) gravely All purpose vac a month ago. The first thing I noticed is the vac hose is way to close to the exhaust. Sure enough my son melted the hose during the first use. Taped it up and it does vac but the 4" hose clogs way to quick. Trimmed bushes and used the vac (bottom portion) to vac up the debris and it worked perfect as long as the branches aren't to big. If it clogs just push down on the handles, cut the throttle back and it unclogs itself. Crank the throttle back up and poof it's gone. Mulches the debris into very small pieces. A full bag of debris is ackward to dump but easily dumped into trash bag when half full. A half full chipper bag weighs a good bit and is about all you want to dump in a plastic leaf bag. I fooled around vacuuming the 10 billion acorns off my driveway and it worked very well for that. I don't have to many leaves on my yard yet but ran it over what was there and it performed well for that. All in all I'm satisfied but time will tell. Soon I'll have lots of leaves in the yard to put it to the real test. Edit to add... If the bottom vac clogs and you tilt the machine to clean out the debris it will FLOOD the motor and you'll have to let it sit for about 15 minutes prior to restarting. I'll reply Again after I have used it some more.

Last edited by RussellB; 10-22-2012 at 05:58 PM.