Register free!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
An 2k or 3k compressor is a bargain over time and an asset you own .
It is a bargain, if the unit has been maintained. That was was my point about paperwork, especially with a diesel, which you could drop what you paid for the unit if it needs a re-build. Buyer beware.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We paid $900 for a small kaiser 40 screw comp. does fine for small systems but I would like to get something larger in a truck mount. We have been looking but nothing looks promising so far. Our little guy will get us through but would like something we could run a couple of zone at a time. We bought it three years ago and it paid for itself many times over.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have one airman 185 with 4100 hrs Isuzu diesel purrs like a kitten. Another Ingrrsol 160 gas that has 1200 hrs. That gas one is a fuel hog. I'll take the more hours diesel any day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

But if that gas compressor is burning fuel its making money .
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I would really think hard about buying anything used that is that old. Most of the time you are just inheriting someone elses problem.

I prefer to rent compressors for blow outs. We own one, a 2006 sulair 185 and we rent 3 for 2 months. I understand that over time the rental fee adds up, but so does paying taxes, registration, insurance, and maintenance on the ones you own. It just sits for 10 months and takes up space. Cost of doing business I guess. Just something to think about.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterpreferred View Post
I would really think hard about buying anything used that is that old. Most of the time you are just inheriting someone elses problem.

I prefer to rent compressors for blow outs. We own one, a 2006 sulair 185 and we rent 3 for 2 months. I understand that over time the rental fee adds up, but so does paying taxes, registration, insurance, and maintenance on the ones you own. It just sits for 10 months and takes up space. Cost of doing business I guess. Just something to think about.
Totally agree. We used to rent 125 and 185 compressors; it was the cost of doing business and, of course, passed on to the client. If I had not got the deal of all time on the compressor we used to rent, I'd still rent.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can rent until you run into the problem one of my competition did ..............there were no compressors to rent monthly locally , they were all out or had been reserved .
I let him use one of my spares for a week until he drove almost 175 miles to get one .
Its always good to own at least 1 , you can do the early blow outs and the late ones . i dont worry about expensive repairs , if that happens I use one of my back up compressors , I then fix it whenever or pick up another one cheap during the year
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

We reserve them in July, never have a problem. United Rentals buys new ones every 3 years so we are always using new or newer reliable equipment= no down time. It works out great and we are able to complete 2000 blow outs in about 8 weeks.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the early days when I was a one man show, I would rent, and would reserve one from Oct 15-Nov 15. If I had waited until Oct 15th this year, I would have been screwed. It got down to 20 degrees on Oct 6th in some areas here, and I've had 12 people with damage. By Oct 15th this year, we already had 200 taken care of. I would have lost out on a ton of money and customers, because I would not have been able to change my reservation. Comps are in HIGH demand for rent in October. By owning four, for three of us, we can start early (Sept 28th this year) and go as late as we want. Sometimes doing a round in early December. By having the 4th comp, I was able to loan it to a buddy that had one go down last week, and there were none to be found. He was able to give me some intel on the 51 zone system I took over, as he had worked on it in the past. I haven't had one yet, that has needed significant repair work. And, it's an asset to the company when the time comes to sell the biz.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterpreferred View Post
We reserve them in July, never have a problem. United Rentals buys new ones every 3 years so we are always using new or newer reliable equipment= no down time. It works out great and we are able to complete 2000 blow outs in about 8 weeks.
How many do you rent at time? or better yet, how many techs are out doing these?