Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
since we are on the topic of posts is there a way to avoid your post being re worded by another when they quote it???

while it doesn't happen often I've seen where someone will quote a certain members post and actually edit what the post they quoted actually said.

I guess I would think it would be better if once the quote button is hit the only editing that can be done is by what the poster is posting and not to the post they are quoting.
I'll check and if it is something we can change we will because I think a quote should be exactly that and not changed or taken out of context
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Michael, the main problem I see with this idea is that it's significantly more efficient to distill a quote down to what's relevant to the reply, or to break it into multiple points for a bulleted reply.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

but I've seen where words are removed, put in a different order or even words added to the original quote. all so either that poster can make his point or make another poster look bad.

like I said I've not noticed it frequently but I have seen it before. on a multi page thread no one wants to hunt down the original post to see what was actually written, that's part of the point of quoting.

I see what your saying, sometimes you only maybe want a certain sentence from the quote but when you start removing parts of a quote or altering the words it can change the whole meaning of the quote and is putting words into the mouth of that poster.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Michael,I agree completely with yardguy28
see how I changed what you said.

now it's a drastic change to make my point but it makes my points and I have seen things like this happen.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM

yes, I understand your point and we can look into it...like I said, not sure if we can adjust that and, as tony said, it could also alter quoting or trying to quote specific points within a post in order to respond accordingly if someone chooses to
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
see how I changed what you said.

now it's a drastic change to make my point but it makes my points and I have seen things like this happen.
In all my years here, I haven't seen that happen. Obviously, that's not to say it hasn't because you seem to have run into it, but when I weigh out the cost to benefit, I think the ability to edit down a quote outweighs the minimal risk that you demonstrate. Really, to boil it down, if someone posts 8 high-resolution pictures of a weed they want identified, do I really need to keep seeing those accurately quoted each time, or can I just quote the part that says, "Hey, guys...what kind of weed is this?".

If it's a long post, containing multiple questions, it's much easier to respond to by breaking it out and replying question by question. It's also easier to read the reply and understand what is being addressed without having to cross-reference the original paragraphs and try to understand what is being responded to. I use this quite often due to the varied, detailed questions we see in the web sub-forum.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek
Yardguy, see how I've changed what you say I said, but what I've just done here is not using the reply feature, per se. Anything can be wrapped in quote tags, bolded, and italicized. Only thing missing is that little blue arrow image (View Post) that you can click to read the original quote source, but it's not really missing because I reinserted it via an image link. Basically, this quote is entirely a mirage.
Cheers all.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 PM

good points from both of you...so, ok guys, I would say agree, or disagree or agree to disagree I guess LOL. but, if there is something we can do we will, and let you know.

and I figure we can all make a point or counterpoint on quotes or, as tony pointed out, something that isn't even quoted, but I'll close this for now

thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations