Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,762
I see a lot of stuff about engines on a 1/2 ton and pulling it, but nothing about transmissions and braking systems.

Even pulling a 10ft trailer with a 1/2 ton, you can get a lot of weight pushing you and experience some heavy brake fade, especially on older drum style brakes.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 AM
macgyver_GA macgyver_GA is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 815
Currently, I'm solo & part-time. I run a little 5x8 utility trailer behind my '07 Tacoma v6 6spd. It holds my 36" WB and handhelds just fine. I can't even tell I'm towing it. I went with a 5x8 because it fits in my garage and I can still park my truck or my fiance's jeep in the garage beside it.

I plan on buying a 50 gallon skid sprayer over the winter and I'm gonna run it out of the Tacoma. It'll be roughly 800 lbs in the bed (full) w/ the factory payload of 1295. I'll be upgrading the rear leaf springs to set of Old Man Emu Dakars before I do to help with the sag. Right now I have the factory springs with an Add A Leaf and it's starting to sag a little now that the springs are 2 years old and I run with some sort of weight in there all the time.

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 AM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I see a lot of stuff about engines on a 1/2 ton and pulling it, but nothing about transmissions and braking systems.

Even pulling a 10ft trailer with a 1/2 ton, you can get a lot of weight pushing you and experience some heavy brake fade, especially on older drum style brakes.
the transmission will be built to handle what the engine is built to handle.

but the breaks are a good point. in fact even if you have a bigger truck you still should have trailer brakes if pulling a heavy enough trailer. one thing i was looking forward to having till my trailer broke
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
the transmission will be built to handle what the engine is built to handle.
have to disagree with you there... ever talked to many owners older model Dodge Dakotas with the V6 and the smaller tranny. Same thing about some of the early Ford V-10s... more engine than the tranny could handle.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM
PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: newberry fl
Posts: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
have to disagree with you there... ever talked to many owners older model Dodge Dakotas with the V6 and the smaller tranny. Same thing about some of the early Ford V-10s... more engine than the tranny could handle.
42RLE

The 42LE was modified in 2003 as the 42RLE, originally for the then-new Jeep Liberty. It is a 42LE transaxle, modified for RWD use by removing the integral differential and transfer chain. Power flow exits the rear of the transmission. The case has also been modified. This transmission is still in production for several models.

Applications:

42RLE
2005–2010 Chrysler 300
2006–2010 Dodge Charger
2004–2011 Dodge Dakota
2004-2009 Dodge Durango
2005-2008 Dodge Magnum
2007–2011 Dodge Nitro
2003–2013 Jeep Liberty
2003–2011 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Dodge Challenger V6
2003-2012 Dodge Ram


I think a small V6 truck is quite suited to this trans with the above vehicle it was used in.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,762
right.... like I said, older.... Dakotas.... which granted in most peoples opinions 2003 is old. I had in mind from '91 to 2000.... had one of each and replaced the transmission in each one. 3.9 V6
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,904
I am by no means an expert.

but if the issue is with older trucks. i would suspect they thought they were putting good enough tranies in and have learned in fact they were wrong. frankly if im wrong i have no problem believing it the way most car manufactuers build vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-25-2012, 05:23 PM
dareo dareo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 59
I tow with a 6 cylinder...Cummins... If you can find a 94-98 12 valve cummins it is just about indestructable. You get around all the injector/injector pump problems of newer diesels. The 12 valve cummins from 94-98 has an engine oil lubricated injector pump, all other diesels rely on diesel fuel alone to lubricate. I have a 94 2wd, all mechanical, manual trans, and towing a 5x10 ramp gate in city driving i average 16-17 mpg per tank all towing all city, with A/C and an aftermarket stereo loading the engine.

It may be hard to find a decent 12 valve dodge but the efficiency and durability are second to none. I also get to skip emissions testing in my area. The 7.3 ford diesel is fairly reliable but gives up a few MPG to a cummins 12 valve.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM
birddseedd birddseedd is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo View Post
I tow with a 6 cylinder...Cummins... If you can find a 94-98 12 valve cummins it is just about indestructable. You get around all the injector/injector pump problems of newer diesels. The 12 valve cummins from 94-98 has an engine oil lubricated injector pump, all other diesels rely on diesel fuel alone to lubricate. I have a 94 2wd, all mechanical, manual trans, and towing a 5x10 ramp gate in city driving i average 16-17 mpg per tank all towing all city, with A/C and an aftermarket stereo loading the engine.

It may be hard to find a decent 12 valve dodge but the efficiency and durability are second to none. I also get to skip emissions testing in my area. The 7.3 ford diesel is fairly reliable but gives up a few MPG to a cummins 12 valve.
Its funny watching people who do not have a technical background claim a radio takes gas.

Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM
dareo dareo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 59
Any significant electrical load takes more fuel. My stereo ccan consume up to 800 watts at full crank. That is over 1/2 hp of electricity. An alternator is lucky to be 50% efficient at best. So making 800 watts can take a full horsepower or more of engine power.

If you have a regular radio with no other equipment it is not significant.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.

Page generated in 0.08713 seconds with 10 queries