Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler z revving to high

Hey guys. I recently posted a thread about some issues I had with a customers 07' hustler z 60" with a kohler command CV740. Replaced the carb and cyl. No. 1 head gasket and the machine is running great, very strong and no oil consumption.

Before i got the machine the customer was having issues with the throttle cable and had one of his guys replace it. Now that the machine is not running like **** he is complaining that at full throttle the engine seems to be making too many rpms and according to him sounds like its "gonna blow up".

Heres my question. Is there not an internal governer on these motors that will protect the engine from over-revving?

Is there an adjustment on the carburetor? How can max rpm be set? Would it be wise to get a digital rpm gauge to see what this thing is actually turning then go from there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill...you probably should have re adjusted the governor when you replaced the carb...as it is adjusted at WOT...the postion may differ from the carb you replaced.
If its out of adjustment it ain't workin right....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you saying the governor is on the carb and adjustable from that location?

No internal governor?

Do you know off the top of your head max recommended rpm at wot?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill....do you know how a governor works..???? Ever adjusted one...???
Man....we're talkin basic stuff here...

The governor arm has a link rod that goes to the carb...and a spring that goes to the lever that the throttle cable attaches to..
Loosen the nut on the governor arm..insert a pin in the hole in the gov shaft.
Hold the pin and the gov arm fully counterclockwise.. and tighten the nut..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I mean i basically understand how to adjust the throttle cable/ high speed screw and stuff. I guess my question is whether this motor has an internal governor and how it works

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it. Ive only been working in the small engine business for about a year. Ive had experience as an auto mechanic. Im 23 and trying to learn as much as i can
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes it has an internal governor gear with flyweights on it..the governor gear meshes into the gear on the camshaft..there is a plunger rod that rides atop the flyweights...the governor shaft.(.it looks like a hockeystick) lays against the plunger rod ...the faster the engine turns..the more centrifugal force is created by the flyweights. This turns the governor shaft that is connected to the carb..the governor always tries to close the carb...bring it back towards idle..
If your governor spring is weak or doesn't have much tension..the governor closes the carb easier and the result is a sluggish engine that won't reach high rpms..
If the governor spring is too strong...the governor cannot close the carb and the engine overspeeds..
If the governor is not adjusted properly the carb will be erratic..it won't compensate for loads and won't have any power..though the engine will run wide open when it doesn't have a load..

I'm sure I probably left some things out...this should give you an idea of what the governor does...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsz28 View Post
I mean i basically understand how to adjust the throttle cable/ high speed screw and stuff. I guess my question is whether this motor has an internal governor and how it works

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it. Ive only been working in the small engine business for about a year. Ive had experience as an auto mechanic. Im 23 and trying to learn as much as i can
Posted via Mobile Device
You need to get yer a$$ over to the Kohler website and download a service manual!

......AMF!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill....when you ger tired of making up excuses to customers.... to cover for your lack of knowlege on the engines that they paid you to repair....
Do what BigFish suggests....download the manuals and READ THEM.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, just downloaded a few.
Posted via Mobile Device