Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLot View Post
I agree but your stand Joe Shmoe landscape guy prob isn't gonna wanna give me a receipt or really care ? Any other options ? Just tryn to keep track an right off as much as I can an take advantage of it you know
If he won't give you a bill of sale I'd be concerned about the machine being HOT. If so, I wouldn't want it.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tax advice given on LS. I just love it! We should have all been accountants.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually try to get a bill of sale, I also started printing the craigslist ad to keep with my records as well. Can a craigslist ad be forged, of course, but I think in most cases it would suffice, given the ad date, bank transaction date, and purchase date all would coincide.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I simply print the ad and use that as my receipt. If you want more than that have the seller print the price, their name, and sign it and that would be a pretty good receipt too.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
If he won't give you a bill of sale I'd be concerned about the machine being HOT. If so, I wouldn't want it.
That would be a very valid concern. Remember if a pawn shop purchases a stolen piece of equipment, the police can remove that equipment from them without providing income to replace that which was lost from the purchase, if they can do that from a Pawn shop.. they can do it from you. If a deal seems too good to be true especially I would be concerned. With that all said there are deals to be had this time of year on CL because everyone thinks they are going to be the next big LCO and fail because they fail to understand business and how to manage it.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Document as well as you can and take the deduction. The worst that can happen is they do not allow it which is where you started.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bill of sale...typically the seller provides that but you can bring your own for them to sign. You should be able to find a simple generic one on the internet. Names and address of both parties, purchase price and terms (i.e. as-is), make, model, serial # and signature lines with dates. That's just off the top of my head.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLot View Post
I agree but your stand Joe Shmoe landscape guy prob isn't gonna wanna give me a receipt or really care ? Any other options ? Just tryn to keep track an right off as much as I can an take advantage of it you know
All Joe Shmoe has to do is get a sheet of paper, write the serial no. down, date of sale and the amount paid/received.

If Joe won't do that then Joe is selling a stolen mower. There is nothing for Joe to fear giving the buyer a receipt.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn S View Post
I simply print the ad and use that as my receipt. If you want more than that have the seller print the price, their name, and sign it and that would be a pretty good receipt too.
Ad will be useless because ad's do not have serial no.'s.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS LLC View Post
I usually try to get a bill of sale, I also started printing the craigslist ad to keep with my records as well. Can a craigslist ad be forged, of course, but I think in most cases it would suffice, given the ad date, bank transaction date, and purchase date all would coincide.

I did this for a piece of equipment I paid $400 for. I never thought to ask for a receipt and when the tax lady was asking about purchases, I mentioned it and the fact that I didn't have a receipt - I mentioned the CL ad printout I had and she said it wasn't ideal, but should suffice if anyone questioned it.