Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

When do I replace traction belts?

I bought a 48" Bunton gear drive walk behind a while back. It was in the middle of an engine swap so I have been tinkering with it and got it up and going. I am using it for personal use but want to get it adjusted like it is supposed to be. My question is how do I know when the traction belts need to be replaced. I can tell they are older but no chunks missing or anything like that. I read somewhere on this site that if you put it against a tree and engage the drive and the wheels dont spin the belts need replacing. Is this good advice? While mowing this weekend, I got hung up against a tree and the pulley was spinning but the belt was slipping so the tire was not spinning. I have a parts manual for this mower but do not have an owners manual, or instructions on how to properly adjust the control levers or brakes. I am just kind of doing it by feel. I am a mechanical type person but have no history of lawn mower repair. This is a great site and thanks for any help!!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say when they start affecting your ability to get the job done efficiently. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I would have spares on hand so when they do begin to fail.