Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Need help quick!! Before i fail !!!!

okay ,how do i say this.this is my first year owning a lco.im not lic,insured, or have bank accounts yet for my company. have had everything made out to cash r cash it self. i started up in may , and had about 20-25 yards. and was prolly making 300 -400 a week , i bought a small new ztr. taking out a loan of 5k . paid soo much off now its down to 1800. but that has nothing to do with why im failing. anyways about ten of the 20 yards i had.i got 8 now. where for a guy who owns a good part of the town where i live. he was very cheap and didnt want to pay a whole lot. 10 small . small as in breeze way sized yards. which i shot my self in the head and bidded too low.but i got them at 120 $. eventully i realized i really was wasting more gas than i was making money after i saw my gas bill for the first month, last week he found someone who i must think is doing it for a lot cheaper than me. cause i always had shown up on time . had it all cut blown and trimmed.. and he also was one of those cliants who give hell when its time to collect.always hard to get a hold of. and once i did, i had to wait a day to 5days to collect.not doing buissness with him anymore forsure. but as i said in the topic of this tread.i reallly need some help or else my lco is going to fail the first year.i was doing soo well at the begining of the summer. i wasnt getting to many calls .it was mostly word to mouth or face book .but now that winter is here. i honestly dont have any idea to make a buck with out getting a second job. can anyone give me some ideas to pick up some different types of jobs? no insurince or lic like i said only cash jobs.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

First. 10 characters
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you need to be part time and get a part time job, like the rest of us did in the beginning.Actually you still need a full time job with that small amount of work.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

i just aplyed at a boat building company. well several. hopefully get me threw the winter.should it pick back up in the spring? like i said new to this
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

First off why aren't you properly licensed and insured?
I would just like to hear your reasons.
You are not charging enough.
I would also recommend a full time job.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

really have no excuse for no lic or insurince. guess really cause im not making enough$$$ is there a minumum you charge?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds pretty typical. You should be making $300 to $400/day but be licensed and insured and delcaring your income. Why should us legitimate guys help you continue to stay in business? You have expressed no desire to go legitimate. $12/lawn? I mean WTF. That's what 12 year old kids charge with the homeowner's mower and gas! And a day to 5 days to collect is nothing. I bill once a month and then wait up to a month after that to get paid.

It sounds to me like you need to either pack it in or start all over because what you're doing will never get you anywhere.

And yes, set a minimum. Mine is $40 but I will waive it for special cases. I have 2 tiny cottage lots I do at $25 and $30. One is for a guy who I do his main house too and the other is 2 doors down from his main house and literally about 500 square feet.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

well.what kind of lic and insureince do i need?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Business license. Tax I'd #. General liability. When you don't have the business license your customer is acting as the gc, and you are the sub. Therefore, if you get hurt, hurt someone, or cause a loss, the defendant in the case can sue you, as well as them. Screwing them. I would Also recommend getting an llc to protect you and your investments. The excuse I don't make enough $ is crap. You will lose everything if you are not careful and then you will have nothing.

I will share a story with you of what motivated my insurance decision. I was mowing with my 48 scag WB, no discharge shoot right next to the interstate at 8:15 am. I hit a 5" diameter rock and sent it flying over a 10' security fence. It hit the concrete barrier going into interstate. If that would have gone over And hit a car I am sure a pile up would have followed and someone. Could have died. It was scary. Don't let something totally unexpected screw you up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANTEC LAWNS View Post
should it pick back up in the spring? like i said new to this
Yes, the grass will most likely grow again in the spring
Posted via Mobile Device