Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Green coloring?

We had a harsh summer here in Va as we normally do. The grass will turn brown for a few weeks, a month or so. I saw a heritage landscaping (huge local company) actually spraying some kind of green dye on the grass. It looked ridiculous when they were done. Made me laugh out loud when I saw them out doing it.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search here for TURF PAINTING there are several threads about it. It does look un-natural

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might have been laughing but they generated a billable application? I'll take the cash thank you...

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I painted some turf this year for a tour at a facility...it was a mess and I would probably never do it again...I can only speak for myself but the video's you see of them spraying are nothing like the results and general mess to clean that I had. I actually think the green dye you'd use to see your application going down would be better
Steve
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i use it a few times a year. we have a few properties we treat that do out door weddings. If color isn't at it's best they will have us spray. It takes some getting used to ge sure you get even coverage.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not My thing but if I were to do it I think a Dedicated 12V spot sprayer that didn't have to be cleaned after each use would be the way to go. I would also try and use a Pressure washer gun with a Flat Fan like a AIRLESS PAINT SPRAYER. I don't know, but I am guessing 2 to 3 gallon a thousand maybe more is needed to get Coverage.

From the Grass paint Jobs I have seen, I think Brown is Beautiful by comparison.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have a 30 gallon sprayer with 12 volt pump that we use strictly for paint. We have a nice handtruck for moving large b&b trees, it moves the tank around sites bretty good when you cant get the truck close enough (hose is 40'). I definitely would recomend not using turf paint in your ragular spay set up, the paint has a tendency to thicken up in your hose, gun, nozzle, when you are done spraying. We try to thoroughly rinse the tank 2x after we spray and thoroughly rinse the lines and gun.

As far as coverage, it varies greatly. If there is pretty thick grass and it's 2.5-3" or so long and you're just trying to darken it up, you can get about 3k-4k out of a gallon. You can spray pretty much anything other than the dirt; thatch buildup, dead grass and pine needles in the lawn will all hold the paint. If the grass is real thin and you are trying to spray, this other materal they will suck up alot of paint, you'll get about 500-1,500 ft a gallon.

I want to say off the top of my head, the label says something like 3-10k per gallon. The only way I can see that is for bentgrass greens.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have done both painting and dying. The paint I used was from sherwin williams and was expensive. I rented a professional airless paint sprayer and painted it like anything else. The color was pretty good. I charged the guy $700 for his 12k. I will say that everything turns green(weeds, etc). Luckily, I was smart enough to tape off the drives, sidewalk and house. The paint does come in different colors because it is the same paint they use for football fields. The dye is cheaper but doesnt last that long and the color is sub par. I use it on damaged spots to hold the customer over until reseeding.