Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

not enough money!!!

what do some of you guys do during slow parts of the year??

This summer was a horrible drought so i found myself cutting people every other week or every 3 etc...what do you suggest during that time and heat to make a more steady income or extra money.

Late fall after most of leaves are up and fall services are just about done does anybody offer services to take them until it snows or provide extra cash??

Also does anybody do any extras in the winter along with plowing
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
what do some of you guys do during slow parts of the year??

This summer was a horrible drought so i found myself cutting people every other week or every 3 etc...what do you suggest during that time and heat to make a more steady income or extra money.

Late fall after most of leaves are up and fall services are just about done does anybody offer services to take them until it snows or provide extra cash??

Also does anybody do any extras in the winter along with plowing
During the mowing season you could offer mulch installs, or shrub trimming. In the fall you could offer tree trimming, aerating and overseeding.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
During the mowing season you could offer mulch installs, or shrub trimming. In the fall you could offer tree trimming, aerating and overseeding.
i do all those i still feel like theres down time! once i get a job i try to knock it out fast so the customers arent waiting and i get paid sooner
Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do alot of brushmowing in the summer. I have many customers with areas on their property that cannot be maintained weekly, but need knocked down a couple of times a year. Drainage ditches, hillsides, wooded areas ect.... I also do bed maintanence during the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I do alot of brushmowing in the summer. I have many customers with areas on their property that cannot be maintained weekly, but need knocked down a couple of times a year. Drainage ditches, hillsides, wooded areas ect.... I also do bed maintanence during the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
what do you mean bed maintenance? weeding cutting new edges fluffing mulch?? if so anything else?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

get into hardscapes or irrigation. irrigation was huge this year with the drought. weeds also grow like crazy during the heat. Also the time where you can ask customers if they have any projects theyve been thinking about doing now that you have some down time to help them out. customers usually are always thinking of something they want to do, but may not say something because they dont want to pay for mowing and this other project, but heres their chance to save money so they think. and after fall clean ups most of us landscapers plow. i dont know what area youre in or if you do plow, but most of us just finish getting everything read for snow and double/triple check trying to make sure we dont have break downs and 100% ready on all sites.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
get into hardscapes or irrigation. irrigation was huge this year with the drought. weeds also grow like crazy during the heat. Also the time where you can ask customers if they have any projects theyve been thinking about doing now that you have some down time to help them out. customers usually are always thinking of something they want to do, but may not say something because they dont want to pay for mowing and this other project, but heres their chance to save money so they think. and after fall clean ups most of us landscapers plow. i dont know what area youre in or if you do plow, but most of us just finish getting everything read for snow and double/triple check trying to make sure we dont have break downs and 100% ready on all sites.
from illinois and yea i do plow. i like what you were sayin about the side projects and them not wanting to pay double great tip thanks for the help!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

"I take holiday"

and yes I take it for 3 months.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It does slow down in the winter but it does not stop.

Perfect time to cut limbs, cut winter die back of perennials. Clean beds, do some fence repairs. Do some selling too for next year.

None revenue activities include, review insurance cost, do taxes, PM equipment, set up routes, reveiw job costing.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some do Christmas lights/Decorations!
Posted via Mobile Device