Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 PM
kyles landscape kyles landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: illinois
Posts: 230
not enough money!!!

what do some of you guys do during slow parts of the year??

This summer was a horrible drought so i found myself cutting people every other week or every 3 etc...what do you suggest during that time and heat to make a more steady income or extra money.

Late fall after most of leaves are up and fall services are just about done does anybody offer services to take them until it snows or provide extra cash??

Also does anybody do any extras in the winter along with plowing
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
what do some of you guys do during slow parts of the year??

This summer was a horrible drought so i found myself cutting people every other week or every 3 etc...what do you suggest during that time and heat to make a more steady income or extra money.

Late fall after most of leaves are up and fall services are just about done does anybody offer services to take them until it snows or provide extra cash??

Also does anybody do any extras in the winter along with plowing
During the mowing season you could offer mulch installs, or shrub trimming. In the fall you could offer tree trimming, aerating and overseeding.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 PM
kyles landscape kyles landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: illinois
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
During the mowing season you could offer mulch installs, or shrub trimming. In the fall you could offer tree trimming, aerating and overseeding.
i do all those i still feel like theres down time! once i get a job i try to knock it out fast so the customers arent waiting and i get paid sooner
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 PM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,180
I do alot of brushmowing in the summer. I have many customers with areas on their property that cannot be maintained weekly, but need knocked down a couple of times a year. Drainage ditches, hillsides, wooded areas ect.... I also do bed maintanence during the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 PM
kyles landscape kyles landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: illinois
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I do alot of brushmowing in the summer. I have many customers with areas on their property that cannot be maintained weekly, but need knocked down a couple of times a year. Drainage ditches, hillsides, wooded areas ect.... I also do bed maintanence during the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
what do you mean bed maintenance? weeding cutting new edges fluffing mulch?? if so anything else?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 AM
wilsonsground wilsonsground is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: brookline, nh
Posts: 91
get into hardscapes or irrigation. irrigation was huge this year with the drought. weeds also grow like crazy during the heat. Also the time where you can ask customers if they have any projects theyve been thinking about doing now that you have some down time to help them out. customers usually are always thinking of something they want to do, but may not say something because they dont want to pay for mowing and this other project, but heres their chance to save money so they think. and after fall clean ups most of us landscapers plow. i dont know what area youre in or if you do plow, but most of us just finish getting everything read for snow and double/triple check trying to make sure we dont have break downs and 100% ready on all sites.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
kyles landscape kyles landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: illinois
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
get into hardscapes or irrigation. irrigation was huge this year with the drought. weeds also grow like crazy during the heat. Also the time where you can ask customers if they have any projects theyve been thinking about doing now that you have some down time to help them out. customers usually are always thinking of something they want to do, but may not say something because they dont want to pay for mowing and this other project, but heres their chance to save money so they think. and after fall clean ups most of us landscapers plow. i dont know what area youre in or if you do plow, but most of us just finish getting everything read for snow and double/triple check trying to make sure we dont have break downs and 100% ready on all sites.
from illinois and yea i do plow. i like what you were sayin about the side projects and them not wanting to pay double great tip thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 AM
bohiaa's Avatar
bohiaa bohiaa is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bellville Texas, near Houston
Posts: 5,017
"I take holiday"

and yes I take it for 3 months.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
It does slow down in the winter but it does not stop.

Perfect time to cut limbs, cut winter die back of perennials. Clean beds, do some fence repairs. Do some selling too for next year.

None revenue activities include, review insurance cost, do taxes, PM equipment, set up routes, reveiw job costing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 AM
C Jovingo Landscaping C Jovingo Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
Some do Christmas lights/Decorations!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.07856 seconds with 9 queries