Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fellows are right, go to work for someone else, and learn the right way to do things. Its good to ask questions, but the questions your are asking in your current position means you may not be ready to be in business yourself.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is ridiculous.. Most on here would say that the LCO like you is ruining the business. I would say that LCO like yourself are why I am successful at it. Usually, I can get a customer to pay double what a guy like you charges without the customer even blinking an eye. Before you get any insurance or business credentials you need to understand this industry and your environment. Many guys think they can just go buy a mower, a trailer and a weed eater and start a business. Just because you like to mow your lawn or are good at mowing lawns does not mean you will be good at running an LCO. To me it doesnt seem like you have the drive or the determination it takes to run a legitimate LCO. If you do then great, but its not all about mowing lawns and crapping rainbows and gumdrops.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i usually type the same thing when ever people don't have insurance or think it isn't needed. But I am getting sick of typing it over and over, so I will just copy and paste. I'm tempted to not even waste my time and do that, but I am concerned about the person you could screw over down the road when you cause damage or an injury and can't pay for it. This quote was from a teenager who was uninsured, so it may be a little different since I mentioned his parents losing there home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
I type this so much that I should just save it to cut and paste.

Here is why you should have insurance weather it is required or not in your area. What will you do if your mower accidentally hits a rock and it gets thrown through a window? Do you have the cash to pay to replace a window pane? Do any of your customers have an older home? Chances are they won't be able to get a matching window at one of the bigbox stores and will need to get a custom one. Do you have the cash for that? if you don't then the customer will probably put it through their homeowners insurance. When they say that the landscaper hit a rock, the claim will be denied and you will be called.

Now what if that rock you hit doesn't hit a window but instead hits a kid riding by on his big that you didn't see, right in his head? Can you pay what could easily add up to a couple hundred thousand dollars in medical bills? Because when the ER staff asks how he was injured the medical insurance company is going to see was hit by a rock from the neighbors yard. Then the medical insurance company is going to contact your customer and their homeowner insurance who will tell them the rock was thrown by the landscapers mower.

What about if the rock doesn't just hit a kid but instead hits and kills the homeowner? Can you afford that lawsuit that could be for millions of dollars? You probably don't own much of value other than your mowing equipment, but your parents, who are legally responsible for you, own vehicles, a home, a savings account, a 401k or other retirement plan. Chances are if you are have an accident as a minor, your parents will be named as well and can, and a very likely will, loose everything they have worked their life for.

Those are the very reasons why you should have insurance. Chances are you will not be able to get insurance as a minor, nor will you likely be able to form your business legally. What can often be done is that your parents may be able to form the business in their name in the meantime and get the business insurance, then you may be able to be listed as an employee. But in this case you still have to check into the labor restrictions as a minor, your state department of labor and osha will regulate the kind of work a minor can do and equipment you can use. If your state or insurance carrier says that a minor can't use equipment, and you have an accident then insurance will more than likely deny any claim anyways.

rant over
Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haha, I remember that post.
Posted via Mobile Device