Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed into mature crabgrass

On September 6, 2012, Pennington Sun and Shade seed was sown into a heavy crabgrass infestation on a vacant lot. There was no soil preparation. No starter fert; no irrigation. Treatments were sown into 2 by 2 foot plots; 15 lbs per thousand sqft photo 1, or 45 lbs photo 2, or 15 lbs with aeration photo 3. Weather was dry, but light rains occurred, followed by heavy rains in October.

Brown crabgrass skeletons are clearly visible, with a few still green. Light frost occurred. Some of the weeds are the winter annual chickweed. Oddly, some of the weeds are black medic (even has some bloom)--a summer annual which normally comes up in June.

Perhaps the summer drought substituted for a period of dormancy.

It appears from this that it is possible to seed into crabgrass as it is nearly ready for frost kill in the fall. At high seeding rates perhaps no soil preparation is needed.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I remember I had a section of non-irrigated forrest lawn that was all burnt up and filled in with CG for the season... the following Spring , just as the snow was melting down to the dirt, I blew off the leaves and broadcast the seed amongst the dead bodies of the CG... worked great...

Good experiment...