Register free!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
I still need help on not staggering the caps?!
Make sure the joints of the caps are not in line with the joints of the block. just like masonry brick, all the joints are staggered.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Make sure the joints of the caps are not in line with the joints of the block. just like masonry brick, all the joints are staggered.

Posted via Mobile Device
haha.. you actually "helped me out with the caps" What I means was about his not staggering the caps.. he said there was a reason but couldnt get into why... I was very intrigued.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This job was unique in many ways. My college room mate said that him and his dad wanted to attempt a paver patio and pay me to help. (he lives in mass and i'm in NY) So i had him measure everything and send me drawings and measurements. ordered materials, rented equip, and I ran up on a friday afternoon with my brick saw and tamper and a few hand tools. got there at 4, worked til 8. then worked 8 to 8 saturday and sunday and 8 to 4 monday. I think the final numbers were 650SF (2 walkways and the patio area) they plan on latticing in the AC under the steps. At the risk of sounding cocky, I don't think its too shabby for me, two guys who have never lifted a brick, and his dad who is making a full recovery from cancer. the wall was done by them two years ago to divert rain water that was coming down the hill into the cellar entrance, had to make it work

Old 10-27-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

seems like a hell of a lot of slope on the back patio, but might just be the angle of the camara. Other wise I'm guesing you did it to match the height two sets of deck stairs and basement stairs. Otherwise it looks good for having two guys with no experience.

Sometimes when the guys have no experience its easier to just tell them to go and start cooking lunch. I did a large patio for a family member. It was a favor and I was vacationing at their summer home at the same time so I was doing it with out any laborers. Family kept wanting to help but it seemed like I got 2x more done when they weren't there then when they were. It was best just to save the work like breaking down pallets, or wheelbarrowing materials, for them to do. But when they would try to help, all I could think about was when your a little kid and you want t help your dad fix the car. So he lets you hold the droplight and hand him tools. He lets you help because he knows you want to, but in reality your making the job twice as hard for him because you keep handing him the wrong tools or loose the bolts you were holding.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hahah yes they were wheelbarrow jockeys. Laid every brick myself and it SUCKED. Nice catch on the pitch. It pitched from the corner where it meets the walk right back down the cellar entrance! And the deck steps are level, just a case of working with what ya got. Had to keep the steps even. That corner is dead anyway and will hold their hose reel. Had to roll in and go full tilt without even seeing the layout first, not something i plan on doing again but the circumstances we're unique.

And his mother cooked us 3 meals a day lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

some new additions

getting lettered up on thursday
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That dump Truck is awsome!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks man, it gets vinyl on thursday and then it better get to work or else!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

That international is pretty nice!
Does it have a shoot in the back? Are you going to put a tarp on it?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks big.

my -only- complaint about this truck is that it doesn't have a chute. i might get into adding one but I just ordered vinyl that covers that spot on the door. ideally I would like a 3 chute for loading wheelbarrows.

It has a tarp, you can see the handle on the front of the cab protector. it also has tie downs up there so I can haul 3 wheelbarrows and strap them down. this is one of my favorite things, I'm always trying to shoehorn them on the trailer or pickup so I dont have to take them on and off at the dumps. now I always ride with 2 or three on there

new pics should be up thursday.
sold a couple small concrete jobs and a 800 sf patio. also have some bigger jobs in the works. looking like a good $pring