Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What to do

I put myself in a little bit of a hole in the beginning of August..I bought out another company..small but took a hit..I should recoup the money by the end of October....but with that money being out I don't have the extra cash for my marketing materials..eddm and got print is what I did last year..I figured I could get 20k out for about 5kish...plus ordering more materials and what not..I may be just focusing on my current and new customers ..but really want to make the push again this year for new customers with the marketing....any ideas ..just looking to brain storm a bit..without diving in credit cards and what not..cheers..the season is here!..already..
Old 09-21-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you are confident that you can get 20k in the next couple months on a 5k mailing investment, I would go with throwing it on a card. You're going to pay some interest, but you'll still end up with a higher net income than you would if you don't do the marketing. So long as the marketing brings in the new clients.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be calling all my new and past customers and asking if they know anyone interested in light installs.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1965 View Post
I would be calling all my new and past customers and asking if they know anyone interested in light installs.
We offer 10% credit to a customers account for referrals we close, it works great. 9 times out of 10, with a referral the customers have talked plenty and the prospect has already got a good idea of a pricing range and what we offer before we talk to them.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey ..ya..I am catching up so last minute postcards..same as last year and lawn signs it is...we are getting some calls from people who got our cards last year.....pumped for the season..and what it will bring..
Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

postcards work if they are well designed, big, and mailed at the right time. I think cards mailed middle of this month, and 1st to 4th week of november create calls.

but be careful where you mail. I spent 5k one year and got zero sales.

yard signs with "christmas lights installed" and your phone number will make the phone ring as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Dave..last year I sent out 10k 8.5x11 heavy stock glossy postcards..and yard signs...it worked great..a LOT of tire kickers but I did get some nice jobs out of it..and the paper even did a right up about us..because one of the writers stopped at a light and saw our lawn sign...lawn signs are great for this..I live in a affluent area and when I talked to people who called they said no one really ever advertised for this...I thought it was strange..we shall see what I hear this year..
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we will be ordering 8 1/2 x11 10k cards this week as well. I do eddm and it helps the phone ring in the right neighborhoods. 14.5 per piece for postage, about 8 cents each on printing and shipping to me. but I hate the weighing, bundling and paperwork and driving to the post office. I am seriously considering just paying 28-30 cents per piece and letting someone else do all the work. all told it'll be 3k.

the yard signs and truck graphics are the best investmants dollarwise in my opinion. they bring you more folks in the same neighborhoods and also reinforce your brand.

2-3 grand in truck advertising will easily bring you 40-80k in sales over the 5-7 year life of the graphics.

1 grand spent on signs should last 2-3 years depending on how heavy you put out signs. and they generate sales and leads like crazy. lots of tire kickers tho.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My postcards came in Friday..we are spending half of today putting them in bundles and getting them ready for the post office. ..I have about 80 lawn signs or so that we will be putting out as well...I already had a referral from a great customer from last year that I met with Friday..it's go go go time
Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Just wanted to share a trick I figured out on the EDDM postcards. If you are ordering from gotprint, instead of ordering the 8 1/2 x 11 post card that is 14 point thickness, order the 8 1/2 x 11 FLYER that is 100lb gloss COVER, make sure not to order the 100lb gloss book, it is just to thin. The 100lb gloss cover is thick enough that it will work just fine for the EDDM but it will save a pretty nice chunk on printing and shipping costs.

If you have the sample pack from gotprint you will see that it is only 1 level thinner than the 14 point.

Been working for me this year and has helped me to save some money, while still getting good results.
Mineral Area Pro Wash
573-631-1315