Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1592 View Post
This is in the beds, not in the yard. I don't have the cutting options. I've hand pulled all of the beds, I'm just trying to do everything possible to minimize this stuff. I have no crabgrass issues in the lawn.

This is a sad situation where the builder put in far too much landscaping and the facility doesn't want to spend the money to take care of it. I've now gotten their attention, and am getting some things done. Slowly but surely...

like I said before snapshot or freehand. I use barricade and gallery mix around my house and it works very good for me..i mix it in my zspray tank and spray it..if you want granular go with snapshot or freehand..
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I've already pulled the crabgrass...30 or 35 wheel barrows full... it was torture. Had previously ran a string trimmer through it... I didn't feel like that was appropriate, but that was the owners wishes...

Is the timing right for these pre m chemicals? (late october/early november)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no to late in the year to worry about it.. i dont how the weather is where you are i am sure you get alot colder then i do down in sw fla. if your temps drop to freezing i would not worry about pre-m until spring next yr...
Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Frost will kill crabgrass. Don't apply the pre-emergent until next year.
Here are the first and last frost dates for Joplin Mo.
http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/mo.html

You don't sound like you have a lot of experience. If you are not licensed get it, and read a few hundred posts on here and you will soon be aware of the fundamentals. And be sure you are actually looking at crabgrass--not quackgrass, nutsedge, orchard grass or something else.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-26-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-27-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Plenty of experience, just not with the chemical application part of it. It is definitely crabgrass. I've got another battle with nutsedge.

I'm simply trying to get as much of a leg up on this issue as I can. I have tried to control it in the past with some passive aggressive attention, but that isn't working any longer. If it was up to me I'd take out the beds and put down sod, but they won't go for that.

I know that it dies with the first frost; that has already happened. But it comes back every year with a vengeance.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out a product called "over the top". You can spray right on top of most shrubs and will not hurt them and just kill the crabgrass. I got mine at the CO-OP.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
no to late in the year to worry about it.. i dont how the weather is where you are i am sure you get alot colder then i do down in sw fla. if your temps drop to freezing i would not worry about pre-m until spring next yr...
It is too late to worry about crab but if you have crab and you've removed it you are going to most likely have other winter weeds come up. So you will still need you apply some of the products mentioned here other wise you will be fighting them soon.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

What's next...

My fear is that removing all of this, and then applying the correct chemicals...

I'm just fueling a vicious cycle. It will be time again in the spring to re-mulch... somewhere's around 65 yards of mulch.

Stinks to put that down and have it infested with all of these crap again.

I can't get the owner to pay me full time weed puller salary!!! lol
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is your maintenance routine for these 'mulched' beds??? Are you removing mulch and replacing it each year, or just adding an aesthetic layer each Spring???

Around here, we put down Preen before the mulch, then again after the mulch, in May... there is probably too much irrigation on your beds to get CG to grow in mulch... pre-m does wash away easily in mulch regardless of what the manufacturer claims... Roundup the young plants each month or more as necessary...
Old 10-31-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

There is no routine, really. It's a nursing home facility so the routine is started whenever a residents complains.

I haven't gotten them to mulch in 3 years. That's all basically gone.

If it wasn't such a good contract for the lawn maintenance, I'd ditch them. Big profits. I get frustrated because the "customer" associates those beds with my company so I try my best to keep up with them.

Next year I'm going to start a monthly round-up application and just charge them... we'll see how that goes.

Tags
crabgrass , missouri , pre emerge