Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Right now I have a 550 and a 33,000 gvw Kodiak. I know the 550(I think is limited to tow around 12,000 pound load) can't go more and the Kodiak would have no problem towing even a 75 and skid. I want to sell both and move up to something like the IH pictured for the 'little' truck and then get a tandem/baby tri dump.

The little truck would have to be able to move the excavator in for small day projects and do my small black dirt deliveries. I'm not so concerned about the go, more on the stop part. I also wonder if the Allison has a 'tow haul' like the super duty?
I'm in the hunt for a small truck for exactly the same reasons. I already own the tandem but need another truck for the smaller jobs. I can't believe how low the 550's tow rating is!? Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with the max payload?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
I'm in the hunt for a small truck for exactly the same reasons. I already own the tandem but need another truck for the smaller jobs. I can't believe how low the 550's tow rating is!? Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with the max payload?
I will clarify that- I just feel behind the 550 the limit was pulling a Takeuchi 153 which was just under 13,000 pounds plus the trailer. Not sure what the 'official' rating is?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I will clarify that- I just feel behind the 550 the limit was pulling a Takeuchi 153 which was just under 13,000 pounds plus the trailer. Not sure what the 'official' rating is?
I'd be tempted to stick with the 550 and then go for the tandem. What motor is in the 550? Have you done a fuel consumption/maintenance comparison between the two?
Aside from my tandem, I have an '01 F350 DRW (which is too small) with the old 7.3 because I fear the newer motors. My next go around I'm fairly certain I will be switching to a cabover for a small truck as they are generally: well built, maneuverable, fuel efficient, and dead easy to work on.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Local guy here pulls a 120 sized hoe with a dt 466 single axle, has done for years legally.
I have the same truck and can load a tak 230 track loader and my 161 on ot and it tows great on the flay but is a dog in the hills, always gets there though...
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Agreed- Single axle could probably tow a 80 size + excavator without trouble.

We will move a TK TL130 and a Deere 35D on a tandem axle deckover that weighs 5k. Slow sometimes but not an issue.

Do you know what spec DT466 it is? Our smaller truck is a 190hp 466 that is turned up. Pretty strong truck for what it is.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
I'd be tempted to stick with the 550 and then go for the tandem. What motor is in the 550? Have you done a fuel consumption/maintenance comparison between the two?
Aside from my tandem, I have an '01 F350 DRW (which is too small) with the old 7.3 because I fear the newer motors. My next go around I'm fairly certain I will be switching to a cabover for a small truck as they are generally: well built, maneuverable, fuel efficient, and dead easy to work on.
Mine has the 6.0 diesel and overall not complaining how it towed the TK. It's just if I move up and get the 75 size with a deckover trailer, I don't think that would be safe or good for the 550. From what I could find the fuel mileage would be very close. I also would like to be able to have an additional 6,000 pounds of carrying capacity.

Those cabovers really don't have a towing capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Local guy here pulls a 120 sized hoe with a dt 466 single axle, has done for years legally.
I have the same truck and can load a tak 230 track loader and my 161 on ot and it tows great on the flay but is a dog in the hills, always gets there though...
Fortunately it's not hilly here. I also remember guys use to haul their TLB's around with single axles(and alot were gas with 5&2...).
Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

These guys have me second guessing the lo pro with the 444. But every one I've found with the 466 is a manual
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an F 750 with a c-7 Cat and a 6 speed tranny. it's a 33.500 gvwr and I have it licensed for 45k. I can load 9 tons and be legal and can pull my B 26 sitting on my 10 ton deck over. I have electric brakes on the trailer,air on the truck. the Cat has a lot of power and torque. I can ramble down the hiway fully loaded and easily maintain 70 mph. braking isn't a problem either. I can haul my Tak 140 and a little less tonnage in the dump bed. I need to figure out how to upload some pics.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
These guys have me second guessing the lo pro with the 444. But every one I've found with the 466 is a manual
Posted via Mobile Device
I like those old ChemLawn trucks but am scared of the 444 being really slow and can it tow decent?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

heres what my dumptruck looks like