Register free!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would you care to share or show the seed tag used on this property ? What was planted ? If this is such a demanding client wouldn't you have made sure the material that was hauled in was from a known source ?
I've got some Top Gun II , Impulse perennial rye, Touché Kentucky bluegrass growing in the bed of one of my trucks from 6 weeks ago, looks like it needs a bit of fert.

Last edited by nighthawk117; 10-25-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Germination doesn't rely on soil fertility, CEC or even pH as far as I know... If you've place sand on top of a thin layer of topsoil, my guess would be that you're watering the trees more than the turf... adding compost originally instead of dirt would've paid off big dividends w/out raising any sprinkler heads...
Compost for 8k, doesn't have to be that thick, but the seed needs something to hold moisture around it... I imagine this picky client insists on bagging as well...
I'd do a dormant overseeding and adding compost , at least, to main areas... this will be a slow recovery as the instant result opportunity is past, IMO...

What other options do you see since you're on site???
A slow recovery is not an option per se. I'm thinking remove the crap, bring in good material and cover with sod. Make the sub pay for it. I've already spoken with a few people about it, and should be able to get the money for it.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would like to see some pics, but giant oak trees I am sure have something to do with it.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Germination depends on adequate moisture and temperature above 50. As Smallaxe pointed out, not much else matters.

If this is a shade problem...seed might germinate...but the grass won't last long. Sod is poor in the shade, (although it might look good at first.) Shade-thinned areas should be planted with one of the well-known shade-adapted ground cover plants: myrtle, ivy, pachysandra, lamium...and more.

One additional potential problem is that there is some chemical in the fill sand that was brought in. Take a sample of the fill and try to grow some of your seed inside on your windowsill. Compare to good soil. And while you are doing that--try a different type of seed. Its possible the original seed was stored too long or under too hot conditions. Under ideal conditions, perennial rye should be a quarter-inch tall after 96 hours.

Show the customer the results. Ask to see his water bill. Never believe when a customer tells you how much he watered.

Hope this helps. We are trying. Grass seed isn't easy. Sub will blame it on the homeowner. Your arguments will fall on deaf ears. Ms Experience is a great teacher, but she is mean. Sod is a good choice. And get a new sub.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-26-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Germination depends on adequate moisture and temperature above 50. As Smallaxe pointed out, not much else matters.

If this is a shade problem...seed might germinate...but the grass won't last long. Sod is poor in the shade, (although it might look good at first.) Shade-thinned areas should be planted with one of the well-known shade-adapted ground cover plants: myrtle, ivy, pachysandra, lamium...and more.

One additional potential problem is that there is some chemical in the fill sand that was brought in. Take a sample of the fill and try to grow some of your seed inside on your windowsill. Compare to good soil. And while you are doing that--try a different type of seed. Its possible the original seed was stored too long or under too hot conditions. Under ideal conditions, perennial rye should be a quarter-inch tall after 96 hours.

Show the customer the results. Ask to see his water bill. Never believe when a customer tells you how much he watered.

Hope this helps. We are trying. Grass seed isn't easy. Sub will blame it on the homeowner. Your arguments will fall on deaf ears. Ms Experience is a great teacher, but she is mean. Sod is a good choice. And get a new sub.
The lawn was watered 22 min a day every day. Irrigation system.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
The lawn was watered 22 min a day every day. Irrigation system.
Really ? Who recommended that watering cycle ?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
... One additional potential problem is that there is some chemical in the fill sand that was brought in. ...
That occurred to me yesterday as well... there is so much residual in so many areas wheresoil is dug out that there might be some inhibitors to germination that aren't even understood that well...
Hopefully no one has actually used pre-m in their "fertilizer" by mistake in the past 3 months...
Old 10-27-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
Water is fine at this property, no questions there.
Of course you determined this by auditing the soil and irrigation system ..... right?