Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Operator presence not working on Lesco walk-behind

I have a 48" Lesco walk-behind (belt drive) with about 150 hrs on it. Model # 708682. My operator presence control/lever isn't working properly in multiple ways. When the blade is engaged, the left handle must be held down or the engine dies (holding the right one down without the left one down will not allow the engine to run). Also, I cannot leave the engine running with the transmission in neutral (blade off) or it will die. Seems like two separate issues? Any idea what part(s) I should replace? How can I temporarily bypass the safety mechanisms to prove out what exactly my issue is so I know what part to get? Many thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the safety lever thing isn't quite pushing in enough for the right hand side. Probably the same for the transmission. Check that mechanism. See how it works and then what needs to be adjusted. On my hydro's the speed control lever will slip forward so when the machine isn't moving the mower would still die
Old 10-27-2012, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmill26 View Post
the safety lever thing isn't quite pushing in enough for the right hand side. Probably the same for the transmission. Check that mechanism. See how it works and then what needs to be adjusted. On my hydro's the speed control lever will slip forward so when the machine isn't moving the mower would still die
Yes. Power down a little if you want to keep it running .
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I figured out how to bypass the safety mechanisms for testing.
I pushed the right side button all the way in (with my finger) and it still wouldn't run. I bought a new wiring harness that plugs in up at the levers. That took care of the right side not allowing the mower to run anytime the left one wasn't pressed also, so I guess that issue was the wiring harness being bad. I still have the trouble with the mower not running in neutral without a handle pressed. On top of the transmission there is a wire - this one doesn't seem to be an issue. Down on the left side near the wheel (left side looking from where you stand behind mower) there is a wire with two plugs ins. When I unplug those, the mower will run with the transmission in neutral and no levers pressed down. I assume the issue must be this wiring harness that plugs in there and run up to where all the other wires from the levers come together (all taped up)? I can't see exactly what the function/purpose/touch point is near where these plugs are at the wheel to see if anything is not touching enough. Any idea how I can prove the wiring harness there is bad also?