Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

mowing/mulching leaves after overseeding fescue

I aerated and overseeded with fescue on Oct. 3rd. Tomorrow will make 3 weeks since seeding and the leaves are starting to fall. Not too many on the lawn right now but want to keep it mowed so I won't have to blow and bag them. Is it ok now to mow? I've been watering about every other day. Some areas are not as tall as others. I wasn't able to put any starter fert out at the time of seeding due to money issues. I know you guys put out a fert app in november and I was wondering also if I could either put the starter fert out then or put the winterizer app down and still be ok?
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have overseeded by Sept 15th. Those 2 week's would make a big difference. A lot of the 3 week old grass is going to get pulled out of the ground by a mower. But it's not that big of a deal, find a single new grass plant, use your hand to try and pull that plant up, if the grass is strong enough to NOT be pulled up by hand, then it is strong enough to be run over with a mower. But at 3 week's old, i don't see those plant's being ready. Have your mower blade sharp, mow at the highest your mower will go and mow when it's dry to minimize any damage. Don't blow at all, you will be blowing seed around. Use starter, try to get 1 lb. of nitrogen down per 1000 sq. ft. by December 1.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been in the business for 11 years and I can tell you from my experience that out of all the times I should have and could have and if only I would have the thing to remember is that most likely you'll be fine, try to stay off it as much as possible but leaving the leaves on the turf isn't helpful either so it's a best case compromise and take it easy on the fresh turf as I still think your yard will turn out nice.