Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you use fabric under 1"-3" size slate chips?

Buying slate chips, 1" to 3" in size.

I know its not recommended for fabric under mulch, but some do recommend it under the rocks.

Would you use it under 1"-3" (2" deep) slate chips?

Thanks!!
Stihl MS310
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used black painters plastic for years under stone. Not weed mat. It works way better and is cheaper to buy. I never use anything under mulch, ever. weeds will grow in breaking down much and will root into the weed mat. its a mess to clean up when the home owner gives up and calls you to fix it. guys stop using the weed mat on mulch. Plastic is better for stone. 6 to 8 mil. is best. dont have weeds in my landscapes.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you poke holes for water to drain
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

No , I don't poke holes. I do cut out past the drip line of the plant. This will be fine for the plants. I have also pulled up beds that have been installed this way. The soil is always damp, even when dry out. I lernd this when I worked for Franz. It is the BEST way to do weed control in a landscape bed with stone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

JW,
If you are using 2 inch rocks at a layer of 2-3 inches, then I would consider a barrier underneath as settling of the stones under possible foot traffic will not make for great weed control. If the depth was around 4 inches, then that would be sufficient for weed control.
I use the geo fabrics and not the plastic as a slick surface only allows for wash and creep.
The weight of the rock and eventual settling will occur on soft soil surfaces. Rain splash and wind blown seeds will eventually invade unless you stay on top of things and apply a preemerge such as freehand, gallery,pendimethalin, barricade, penoxulam or snapshot.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I always use weed block under rocks and that is the only time I use it. If you don't use some type of barrier under stone bedding, no matter what size rock, it just takes less time for the soil and the rocks to become one. I never use fabrics as a form of weed control as far as I'm concerned thats called littering, because fabrics do little good as a form of weed control, the weeds germinate over top of the fabric and shoot roots down through so when you pull them the fabric comes up as well. Vines and other types of pre exiting weeds will find there way up through seems or holes for the plants.