Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure, I think I have seen something similar when the grass was mowed when it was wet. Fungus invades the cut surface. Not serious. Gone with the next mowing.

Could be due to the cold also. Some types of dark green Kentucky bluegrass are very slow to green up in spring--I am not so sure about off color in the fall...but deep roots are not present yet.

Also, you should always ask about the sod harvest and storage conditions--the second batch of sod was fine. The first truckload was potentially stored on the truck too long, as in overnight. Retained on pallets at the sod farm for more than 8 hours. Unloaded at the site, but not laid for 6 to 8 hours. Discuss this with the sod farm; they may not be willing to take the blame--but they have seen it all.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is normal stress and whatever the diagnosis may be given by name, it often results from poorly cared for sod... soaking wet as you put it is another evidence of poorly handled sod... tell them to back off the water, in fact this time of year, maybe shut it right off foor the rest of the season, even if the roots haven't started yet...

Maybe there should be a thread about how roots like moist soil AND air... seed too... more is better? more is better! more is better...
I agree 100%...its purdy cut and dry...no pun intended. They say a picture says a thousand words and some of the words I see are...my foliage is flooded...help me I'm too wet...I don't have fungus yet but I know spores are forming...don't hit me with N! and so on...

A non aquatic plant living in aquatic conditions will surely not survive. Only water when showing signs of drought even from day one. Go spend two weeks in the pool, non stop and see how the tissue on your skin reacts even though you like and need water. Most living things only drink as needed. If someone was trying to make me drink glass, after glass, after glass, after glass eventually ill give you a sign that says.
Enough efen glasses. You better head the sign or I'm out.

That's not fungus you see in the foliage but its surly in the making...in the soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is normal stress and whatever the diagnosis may be given by name, it often results from poorly cared for sod... soaking wet as you put it is another evidence of poorly handled sod... tell them to back off the water, in fact this time of year, maybe shut it right off foor the rest of the season, even if the roots haven't started yet...

Maybe there should be a thread about how roots like moist soil AND air... seed too... more is better? more is better! more is better...
I'd agree with that too. Sometimes customers saturate their new lawns with too much water. Tell your customer to back off and let their lawn breathe.