Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Best way to fix Ruts?

Just built a shop that required 60+yds of cement, the cement trucks put a hurtin on my yard. I been thinking about tilling them and trying to level them out but from my experience when ever you till a piece of ground with grass it doesn't spread because the grass balls up. The tiller I have is a six foot PTO tiller and the magnitude of the ruts would be too much for a walk behind tiller. Do I just get some topsoil hauled in or use sand? Don't know what to do but the ruts are becoming a huge eye sore and there is no way to run a mower over them so i need to do something.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I put my tiller on a highest setting just enough to peel up the turf, take a flat shovel and get up all the grass. Then till it deep a couple times and then put some good topsoil over it.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

What kind of grass is it?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I fix them all the time at commericial properties. Take a pick with pointy end drive it in the ground and rotate the end up. You can pull the soil and sod back up and fix the compaction at the same time. Fill it over with good soil. Since they would never pay us to fix them I do it this way no cost and it looks fine.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I fix them all the time at commericial properties. Take a pick with pointy end drive it in the ground and rotate the end up. You can pull the soil and sod back up and fix the compaction at the same time. Fill it over with good soil. Since they would never pay us to fix them I do it this way no cost and it looks fine.
One of my clients recently had a pool put in. Nice ruts, I'll have to try that out. Thanks for the tip. I usually fill them in with top soil but it takes awhile for the grass to fill in. Good idea!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

ruts

The grass is st aug, really hard to work with when tilling or attempting to spread with a pick or drag. Plus the soil has alot of clay or what we call gumbo and once the sun hits it it turns to balls of rock hard soil that is very hard to work with also. I live about 500yds from a river so the ground is always kind of mushy, its only rock hard under the huge live oaks. Thinking my best bet will be to just bite the bullet and get a couple loads of topsoil just tired of writing checks if you know what I mean.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgseth View Post
The grass is st aug, really hard to work with when tilling or attempting to spread with a pick or drag. Plus the soil has alot of clay or what we call gumbo and once the sun hits it it turns to balls of rock hard soil that is very hard to work with also. I live about 500yds from a river so the ground is always kind of mushy, its only rock hard under the huge live oaks. Thinking my best bet will be to just bite the bullet and get a couple loads of topsoil just tired of writing checks if you know what I mean.
Ah, you answered your own question. Man that was easy. One other thing, how much is top soil down there? I can get it for free at a local farm!