Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My 07 diesel and 08 gas f250 are for sale!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

get a diesel 3/4 ton if you want a cool truck. Get a gasser if you want to make money.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
Tundra? Maybe?. The only thing is with the 4.30 gear you only get I think around 13 or 14 mpg
Yeah, but you get 6 gear transmission.

Get a 3/4 ton.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
get a diesel 3/4 ton if you want a cool truck. Get a gasser if you want to make money.
Couldnt agree more with this. Diesel sounds cool and yes may pull a little better but for the money you spend on them. Sheesh. Ive done made that mistake.

Everyone bragged on how good these 7.3 powerstrokes were so I bought one. The maintanance bills surpass the amount it saves me in fuel when comparing toour 6.0 chevy gassers and the gasser 6 litre chevrolets have been CRAZY dependable for us......

Yes the 6.0 gasser eats fuel but I can buy A FREAKIN bunch of fuel with the money saved buying a gas truck. And when you have a maintanance issue its always a lot less to fix....

That 7.3 powerstroke truck lives at the shop. Always something with that thing. Chevy 6 litre trucks we have get tires and oil changes. Thats it.... with that said, pulling enclosed 16fters your looking at 8-10mpg with right gearing.

By the way, before anyone saids anything, our 6 litre trucks will pull side by side with our diesel any day of the week, up hill or not. Maybe not if I was pulling a cattle trailer but were pulling lawnmowers for goodness sakes.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Couldnt agree more with this. Diesel sounds cool and yes may pull a little better but for the money you spend on them. Sheesh. Ive done made that mistake.

Everyone bragged on how good these 7.3 powerstrokes were so I bought one. The maintanance bills surpass the amount it saves me in fuel when comparing toour 6.0 chevy gassers and the gasser 6 litre chevrolets have been CRAZY dependable for us......

Yes the 6.0 gasser eats fuel but I can buy A FREAKIN bunch of fuel with the money saved buying a gas truck. And when you have a maintanance issue its always a lot less to fix....

That 7.3 powerstroke truck lives at the shop. Always something with that thing. Chevy 6 litre trucks we have get tires and oil changes. Thats it.... with that said, pulling enclosed 16fters your looking at 8-10mpg with right gearing.

By the way, before anyone saids anything, our 6 litre trucks will pull side by side with our diesel any day of the week, up hill or not. Maybe not if I was pulling a cattle trailer but were pulling lawnmowers for goodness sakes.

my 6.0 has been great too. Do you have any 1 ton duallys? Im a die hard gasser guy for pickups but for a 1 ton dump that Im looking for I could go either way. Have you owned any DuraMax's?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post

I have a couple diesels, but I also have several 6.0L Silverado 2500's , they are great trucks
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
my 6.0 has been great too. Do you have any 1 ton duallys? Im a die hard gasser guy for pickups but for a 1 ton dump that Im looking for I could go either way. Have you owned any DuraMax's?
Actually the 7.3 is a f350 but single rear wheel.

As for the duramax's, I cant afford one. With that being said i have a few buddies that have them and say they are amazing but of course the friends I speak of are the nimwitts pulling 2 sea-doos to the lake. LOL Supposodly there some power houses but I just cant see paying twice as much for a duramax when I can get a 6.0 gasser for roughly half the price (im speaking of a few year old trucks, i buy used mostly)........

I actually wouldnt mind having a duramax but heres the other thing that stinks about the diesel chevy. I plow snow also and because the duramax engine is so heavy you cannot run as big of a plow as if you had the 6.0 gasser because of weight......... Crazy huh....
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlandco View Post
I have a couple diesels, but I also have several 6.0L Silverado 2500's , they are great trucks
I think the diesels are a cool truck to drive honestly..... they sound cool, turbo spooling is awesome also.

I found a one owner 97 f-350 flatbed with 7.3 (it was a turd, had to do a chip)and you could tell it had been taken care of but when things that needed attention came around (injectors for one thing) its just a fortune to have these things done.

As I was paying for a glow plug and injector job handing over thousands to my long time mechanic I was thinking the whole time how that tune up on my gasser would have been a fraction for tune up.........

If I made tons of money Id have diesel trucks because I like them, but to make money and for dependabillity, ill stick with the tried and true gassers that are cheap to work on.....
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you only tow a tiny landscape trailer then buy a gasser, If you actually use your truck like some of us do and tow 10k+ pounds up hills then buy a diesel.

The people who preach that their 6.0 liters/Gas jobbers can tow As good as diesels clearly don't tow enough weight on a daily basis.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So what yall are saying is buy a 2500 gasser For basic everyday towing?

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...