Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Ground pearl problems?

I am currently working with a scientist at NC State university, courtesy of a research grant from the university, on a process I have developed to treat ground pearl. So far everything is going well. I have been able to re-establish turf in areas infested with ground pearl and as of yet we have not found any pearls in treated areas that were previously infested. What I would like to know is how serious the problem is in your area and what if anything people are doing about them.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

look folks I'm really eager to get some feed back on ground pearl problems. If you are familiar with them and they are any kind of problem in your area please let me know. I would also be happy to answer any questions about them.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

WTF is "ground pearl" ?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Ground pearl is a scale type insect that lives under ground and attaches itself to the roots of warm season turf grasses. Here in Wilmington NC it is the worst problem you can have it never goes away and eventually turns you lawn into a sand trap. the rate of infestation here is massive there are neighborhoods here where up to half of the lawns have it. It doesn't get much attention because there is nothing anyone can sale you to cure it. It may very well be in your area as it is found throughout the south all the way to California even the Hawaiian islands. You can google it and find out a lot more about it. If you don't have it in your area consider yourself lucky.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Based on what info I have found on related species, imidacloprid or thiamethoxam applied as a drench with wetting agents offers some control. I surmise that poor results with those two products are related to inadequate application techniques. Granular application of non water soluble products or low volume spray applications should not be expected to get to pests residing deep in the soil.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it's such a problem I would think the chem companies would be all over this with research and a solution? How long has this been an issue, I'm just hearing about this, might try the fertilizer and herbicide thread would probably get more response there.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
If it's such a problem I would think the chem companies would be all over this with research and a solution? How long has this been an issue, I'm just hearing about this, might try the fertilizer and herbicide thread would probably get more response there.
The most effective treatments for this problem were OP and carbamate insecticide/nematicides from the 1960s. Forget about applying anything like that to turf now. Someone mentioned Temik in another post about this. That would work, however touching treated turf might kill you until the pesticide degraded several months later.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-29-2012, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Member

The best that chemical applications have ever done was a 50% kill and that was done i think in the 1960s with something you can no longer use. I will have to get back with you on that. If anyone would take a ride around Wilmington NC you would see just how bad this problem can be. some experts believe its so bad here because we are at the northern range for warms season grasses and that perhaps the climate stress along with the insect stress is too much for the turf. That is why I am so eager to get some feed back on how bad it is in other areas. You would surprised how many professional landscapers around still aren't familiar with it.