Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Just remember all this happened because you being an established company and as a veteran member are held to a higher standard. Would be no different if I or DVS or Zedo or many of the others put up their work. Likewise there are plenty of amateurish jobs on here that are left alone because they are obviously not on the same level.

In my area there are a few larger companies about your size and they get a similar approach to work. Many of them have such name recognition or sheer size that they can consistently produce B-grade work and no one thinks anything of it. Not horrible work, but cheap materials when promised premium, not quite right practices, and overall something is just off. These are also the guys that at trade shows and classes are flashing their feathers all around and are looking down at anyone that is not them. These types are pure DBags and I'll put any single one of my projects up against theirs any day. I suggest you hold yourself to a higher standard as well. I'll be working on another thread about how these types exist.

For the record though I do like your job all safety issues aside, it is creative oand I'm sure a drastic improvement. I would like to see how it actually went together and the stone is tied to the wall, but it seems this thread should be buried in the archives after all this.
May be time for Charles to close this thread.

Shovel, while I respect Jim, all this is characteristic of Jim.

Last winter/spring Jim had a topic about lips on wall block. I chimed in with my observations from the field (not from my dash board) and I even provided pictures that I had taken a few weeks prior.

Jim became furious and he, on a public forum, called me names and went off on a multi paragraph rant. And then he complains and complains and complains about a few of us forum members.

As business owners people come to us for answers. employees. and customers. its molded into our heads that we have all the answers. but at the end of the day Some folks just don't know they lack the ability to listen and learn and they anger easily. Blaming everyone and everything. But theirselves.

I'm reminded of a recent former employee, he would be late for work and somehow it was always my fault! As long as everyone agreed with him - he was the greatest worker i had and would give you the shirt off his back. But say anything he didn't wanna hear and shovels and rakes started flying. Literally.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 10-27-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. Your memory must be a little off today DVS. That's not how it went down at all. There was no name calling. There was just Andrew being Andrew - thinking he knows better than everyone else..... than the engineers....... than the block manufacturers. You got put in your place and are still butt hurt about it. That's all.

Anyone who wants to review that thread can still do so;
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=369056

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-27-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think it's time to change the channel
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey Jim, what is the other hard scape forum? I look on here to learn and get ideas and to share triumphs, but I see peoples work that they slaved over and have pride in. they know what they wanted to do, but maybe they're still learning.they want encouragement on how they did. but I hardly see that here. I would never post my stuff here, I already know what I would change if I did it again and things I simply wouldn't spend as much time on.
People here are really good at elevating themselves by lowering others under the guise of "constructive criticism". People get ticked off because they're not stupid and can see what you're doing and the only one you're deceiving is yourself.

maybe you've been in the field 20 years, but at some point you didn't know squat, and if every time you showed your work to someone, you would flip if they constantly pointed out 20 ways you failed or my personal favorite: "YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE: (insert something that costs a lot, that the customer didn't have the budget for)....Really?

Truth is....I can only take so much "awesome" before I wanna throw awesome off a bridge.....
Jim, your patio looks great and I hope I can take what I learned from it and do something similar.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

at the end of the day its a really cool, well designed patio with nice flow, and the dry stack ties it all together.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Even tough like zedo said lawnsite is just that lawnsite, there are many credible and knowledgable people that still in this forum, it has nothing to do with the amount of post that they have but quality, I choose who to believe based on many, many things, I look at members work, websites, and follow some of them on hometalk, facebook, etc.
When I hear one contractor claiming many times this industry is going down the drain, and complaining about all the hacks in their area and then another talking how good they are doing, how much they are growing regardless of the economy at the same time proving it, who's work is featured in many sites (just do a search of Jim lewis landscaping you'll know what I'm talking about) well it's an obvious reason for me to believe the one who's perception is the one I'm trying to achieve.