Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

GMC 2500HD vs. F250

Ok, so I'm trading in my F150 this week, as long as hurricane Sandy doesn't get in the way with that. I have narrowed it down between a 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD and a 2008 F250. Both extended cabs, GM 6.5' and ford 8' bed. I am not to concerned on the bed size, both gas and 4x4. GM - 6.0L and Ford 5.4L. GM - 36,000 miles and Ford 86,000 miles. GM - $24,000 and Ford $22,000.

I know everything there is to know about fords but not so much for GM's. What are some things I should look for with the GM? the 6.0L have any issues like the 5.4 does when it comes time to changing the plugs and what not.

What are your recommendations if you were choosing between these two trucks. Will be used to tow my 16' enclosed, utility and 12k dump trailer. I know the dump trailer over weights it but that will with just about every gas engine. Also I'm de-weighting the dump because of NJ dumb DOT laws!

Curious to hear your thoughts and knowledge on the GM but also feel free to add to the Ford. All is appreciated!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

GMC 2500HD vs. F250

2000 more fore half the miles a short bed has a better resale value I would go gmc. The 6.0 should have more power and wouldn't be surprised if it got better mpg.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

don't know of any problems with 6.0's. transmissions are good, i agree with above, only 2k more for less than half the miles on the gm. i think the 6.0's get somwhere around 14mpg. the 5.4 is too small a motor for as big of a truck as the f250 is IMO.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that's were I'm at with it, the 2,000 more doesn't bother me, I just don't know anything really about the 6.0's as I do with the 5.4's. Right now I'm leanin towards the gmc.

Also another question, want to see if this seems strange to anyone. I test drove the gmc on Saturday, but the salesman wouldn't let me drive it off the lot, he "had to" and then about a mile down the road switch with me in a lot to drive. Got to drive it on the road and highway and back onto to the lot, just not off it. Should that throw any red flags?? And they also have had it since April. Starting asking price was 31k and now it's all the way down to 24k
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

strange they wouldn't let you drive off lot, but if it seemed fine that wouldn't bother me. sounds like a good deal to me, i'm betting they've had it since april because 31k seems like alot to me for a gasser
Old 10-29-2012, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

First, that seems like way too much money for both of those trucks.
Second, the 6.0 will get treeible fuel mileage. I have owned 2 of the 2007, 2500's. Figure about 8-9MPG driving around town, with or without a trailer. To me, the 6.0 felt weak when towing. Seemed like you really had to go pedal to the metal, to get away from a traffic light, without holding up other traffic.
Tough call on which way to go, but I still think they are both overpriced.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
First, that seems like way too much money for both of those trucks.
Second, the 6.0 will get treeible fuel mileage. I have owned 2 of the 2007, 2500's. Figure about 8-9MPG driving around town, with or without a trailer. To me, the 6.0 felt weak when towing. Seemed like you really had to go pedal to the metal, to get away from a traffic light, without holding up other traffic.
Tough call on which way to go, but I still think they are both overpriced.
If you think that a 6.0 felt weak when towing your trailer don't put a 5.4 ford in front of that trailer.

Sorry but your gonna be leaning on ANY truck pulling a trailer and trying to not be in the way of traffic behind you from stop sign or red light....

I think they sound over priced as well, yes the chevrolets get horrible fuel mileage (I get right at 9 pulling trailer) but the money you will save not repairing the chevrolet over fixing the ford daily you will still be money ahead.

Bwahahahahaha, Im just messin with you ford guys. We had a 5.4 ford a while back and it was a gutless beach and had problem after problem. Our 6.0 chevrolets have been bullet proof........ Yes horrible fuel mileage but if a handful of trucks wants to treat me the way my chevrolets have, they can get bad mileage. nobodys gonna get good fuel mileage pulling trailer anyways unless you go diesel and with the price of deisel trucks these days I can buy a LOT of gas with the money saved over buying a gas truck over diesel.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
Yeah that's were I'm at with it, the 2,000 more doesn't bother me, I just don't know anything really about the 6.0's as I do with the 5.4's. Right now I'm leanin towards the gmc.

Also another question, want to see if this seems strange to anyone. I test drove the gmc on Saturday, but the salesman wouldn't let me drive it off the lot, he "had to" and then about a mile down the road switch with me in a lot to drive. Got to drive it on the road and highway and back onto to the lot, just not off it. Should that throw any red flags?? And they also have had it since April. Starting asking price was 31k and now it's all the way down to 24k
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I find that weird. I would just tell them your really leaning towards the gmc but not buying it unless you get a good test drive OFF THE LOT. Around here it seems the lots are all about you getting a nice long test drive even on brand new ones.......
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

The 6.0 is much nicer towing than the 5.4 in the 250. As mentioned above the 5.4 is a little underpowered in the 250. As for the fuel mileage there both going to be within a couple of mpg of each other.
2004 Bobcat s250
Gravely 152 ztr
2006 walker GHS
16ft landscape trailer
2012 6 ton dump trailer
2004 JDJ 7 ton dump trailer
Little wonder leaf loader
Toro proline and Honda 21's
Toro 36" walkbehinds
Stihl,echo,handhelds and saws
Arctic snow plows and snow ex salters
Horst Snow Pushers
Old 10-29-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah well I could care less about gas mileage. I add it to my cost of jobs as its something you need no matter what. Like others had said, they are gas engines, they are goin to drink gas, especially with a trailer.

Also I know that with it being a gasser, towing is not going tO awesome compared to a diesel but will handle.

I'm mainly looking to see if there are issues I should concerned with the 6.0. I have been towing with a 5.4 and yeah not impressed so I figured I would try the 6.0.

Do you really think the gmc is over priced, I thought it was pretty reasonable, especially from being at a dealer. It barely has any miles on.

Thanks everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device