Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

My 6.0 has 255000km and nothing but regular maint. The old man had a brand new in 01 that he drove till 600000 km and it was solid other than the manifolds going which was common on the older ones don't know bout the newer ones
2004 Bobcat s250
Gravely 152 ztr
2006 walker GHS
16ft landscape trailer
2012 6 ton dump trailer
2004 JDJ 7 ton dump trailer
Little wonder leaf loader
Toro proline and Honda 21's
Toro 36" walkbehinds
Stihl,echo,handhelds and saws
Arctic snow plows and snow ex salters
Horst Snow Pushers
Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you're not concerned with fuel at all, why not get a diesel and open up your options and pulling capabilities? you'll be far happier pulling with one of them especially if you tow alot, and guarantee you'll outlast the gassers
Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a diesel but ford doesn't have a reliable one right now unless I go mid 90's or brand new. I'm not a dodge guy so cummins are out and duramax are holding there price to well right and push me out of my limit. I'm trying to say low on the mileage side even though I know that doesn't mean too much with a diesel
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Should be interesting

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own 2 6.0's in Chevys and a 5.4 in a F250. The Ford is JUNK!! It falls on its face, the most gutless motor I have ever owned. I honestly believe my old 5.3 Chevy would pull that Ford backwards!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
Should be interesting

Whys that? Because I said that ford doesn't sell a solid diesel engine?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no newer diesel engine with all the emissions crap can hold a candle to any of the older ones without it. ford was plagued with 6.0 problems, not sure about the 6.4 or most recently the 6.7. cummins had alot of issues with the 6.7 also, but 99% of those problems were directly related to the emissions crap( EGR, DPF). get rid of those things and no more problems and much better fuel mileage. unsure of the newer duramax's, but i know any of the diesels with emissons fuel mileage sucks. some of the older duramax's had injector issues. i'm not a dodge guy either, but i can't argue with the cummins track record, the powertrain is solid. I just bought a 6.7, its not nearly as comfortable as my 1500 silverado nor do i think the fit and finish is quite as good, but like i said its gotta be one of the most solid powertrains out there and as far as doin work i'd put it up against anything
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
Whys that? Because I said that ford doesn't sell a solid diesel engine?
Actually no... I'm I the exact same situation. I'm been researching theses 2 trucks and I just wanted to know what ppl were gonna say... I've heard Ford 5.4 were not the best for a F250. No harm meant

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I know you said you are not a dodge guy. But you owe it to yourself to drive a Cummins turbo diesel. If you can get a nice 2006 or 2007 with the 5.9 you will have all the power you want and get great MPG. Diesel may cost more per gallon but if you can get 14 mpg where a gas might get 10 mpg its huge.

Some of the dodge parts may break and need replacing but the Cummins makes it worth it. I wouldn't get a gas Ram as i believe the chevy/ford/tundra options to be better. Cummins 5.9 > all other engines. Just a shame Ford didn't get the contract instead of Dodge.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking to myself the other day when driving my F250 "man, this truck is comfortable to drive". IDK why, Im just growing more and more fond of my Ford. It's a 5.4. It isn't long on power, but I get nearly 9 MPG pulling a 16' trailer around town 90 percent of the time. Nothing I'm interested in complaining about for sure! I'd love to have a late 90's ex cab long bed F250 with a 7.3 PSD, or even a mid 2000s with a 6.o with upgrades. That being said, between your two trucks, def get the Chevy. I loved my ex cab short bed 6.0 with all my heart and I regret every day that I sold it. Not the best on fuel, but I felt like I could pull the gates out of hell with it. Mine was an 07, leather, Bose, low miles...like 40k. A tear is coming to my eye as I type this so I shall stop... but, get the Chevy!

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000