Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jud149 View Post
Thanks so much for the pics. I truly appreciate your help. As it turns out, my carb, RB-K66b, is non-adjustable as it has a fixed jet and is different from the one in your pics. This I learned from discussions with a Zama engineer..

After explaining the problem to him, he said he was certain it was a restriction causing the non-acceleration issue. He went on to explain how to clean the jets for both the high and low circuits which he gave about a 50% chance of fixing the problem, and if it didn't cure it, a new carb was about the only solution, he added.

I asked about an adjustable carb replacement, and after a little research, he suggested the RB K75, a direct bolt on which would also provide a little more power. They're on Ebay new for about $45 with shipping.

If you refer to the carb schematic I provide above, the fixed jet is no. 18, and 21 and 30 being the plug and its o-ring. On some Zama carbs, this is where the high adjustment is. On my carb, the primer base, no. 12, must be removed to access the plug which merely slips out after base removal. As I quickly found out when trying to adjust my carb, the engine will not run with the plug removed.

If anyone has any questions regarding any info here, please let me know. And thanks again XPLRN. jud149@bellsouth.net

I'll update my progress.
Great information update from your end and your certainly welcome for the pictures. Too bad the 230 had a truly non-adjustable carb on it. Amazing how these little carbs can cause all kinds of frustration when they don't work correctly AND how much we take them for granted when the machine works the way it should!!

Please do update your progress and hopefully your machine will be serving you soon instead of you serving it!!

The positive end result of all this troubleshooting and info gathering will be when someone has the same or similar problem in the future. In doing their internet searching(such as what lead me here) if they come to this website they will find this accumulated knowledge that will hopefully help them with a direction to go or possible solution to their problem.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I started to clean the carb again and after warning myself not to apply too much compressed air pressure to the jet which I was holding in my hand, I did just that and it went flying to who knows where in my garage ,lol. So I ordered another one for $2.14 from my Echo dealer. Ill be back with an update after I receive the new one in a few days.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=XPLRN;4558542]Great information update from your end and your certainly welcome for the pictures. Too bad the 230 had a truly non-adjustable carb on it. Amazing how these little carbs can cause all kinds of frustration when they don't work correctly AND how much we take them for granted when the machine works the way it should!!

Please do update your progress and hopefully your machine will be serving you soon instead of you serving it!!

The positive end result of all this troubleshooting and info gathering will be when someone has the same or similar problem in the future. In doing their internet searching(such as what lead me here) if they come to this website they will find this accumulated knowledge that will hopefully help them with a direction to go or possible solution to their problem.[/QU
I figured out a long time ago NOT to buy any handheld that doesn't have an adjustable carb on it. Over 20 years with Echo and I have never had to buy a new carb and I got a lot of junkers running in our business.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLRN View Post
Great information update from your end and your certainly welcome for the pictures. Too bad the 230 had a truly non-adjustable carb on it. Amazing how these little carbs can cause all kinds of frustration when they don't work correctly AND how much we take them for granted when the machine works the way it should!!

The positive end result of all this troubleshooting and info gathering will be when someone has the same or similar problem in the future. In doing their internet searching(such as what lead me here) if they come to this website they will find this accumulated knowledge that will hopefully help them with a direction to go or possible solution to their problem.

I figured out a long time ago NOT to buy any handheld that doesn't have an adjustable carb on it.
Over 20 years with Echo and I have never had to buy a new carb and I got a lot of junkers running in our business.
That sure makes sense!! I just got lucky when I bought my SRM260......I think it was the biggest unit available at the store that day and I was needing a weed trimmer. Sooo glad to get it back up and running withouthaving to purchase a new carb!!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A strange problem for an RB, these rotary valve carbs usually have a single jet which either works or doesn't.

Sounds like low pressure in the metering circuit, either an internal leak or something plugged.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

The new jet didn't solve the problem. Just ordered a new carb, RB K75, which can be used in lieu of the original RB K66B non adjustable jet per Zama. This new carb is adjustable.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I just installed my new carb and unbelievably the original problem of no acceleration from idle is still there. This is after installing a new plug, fuels lines and fuel filter. The exhaust is clean and I even run it with the muffler off with no change in performance. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well, I just installed my new carb and unbelievably the original problem of no acceleration from idle is still there. This is after installing a new plug, fuels lines and fuel filter. The exhaust is clean and I even run it with the muffler off with no change in performance. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I would try to check to see if both crank seals are in place. Is this unit very old? By the way did you try adjusting that new carb I would run a new fuel line because it sounds like not getting enough fuel. If this is a high use unit I have some other things to check.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I would try to check to see if both crank seals are in place. Is this unit very old? By the way did you try adjusting that new carb I would run a new fuel line because it sounds like not getting enough fuel. If this is a high use unit I have some other things to check.
Thanks for the reply. The unit has perhaps only 200 hours on it at most. Compression is good. Adjusting the hi screw does nothing as turning it all the way in both directions has not effect at all. I did replace the fuel lines, filter, and plug, and of course the new carb, all to no avail. Is there an easy way to verify crank seals are in place?

FWIW, the problem started all at once. Fine one day and the problem the next upon start up. The unit runs normal except for no acceleration. Its starts fine and will not die...just the no high rpm issue.

Last edited by jud149; 10-31-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The unit has perhaps only 200 hours on it at most. Compression is good. Adjusting the hi screw does nothing as turning it all the way in both directions has not effect at all. I did replace the fuel lines, filter, and plug, and of course the new carb, all to no avail. Is there an easy way to verify crank seals are in place?

FWIW, the problem started all at once. Fine one day and the problem the next upon start up. The unit runs normal except for no acceleration. Its starts fine and will not die...just the no high rpm issue.
On the recoil side take it off and peak in with a light. On the flywheel side you have to take the clutch housing off and again peak. But if it is spotless then they probably are in place. Take the muffler off and verify that the output port is cleaned out. If I recall I think those carb have another adjustment straight down on top of the carb. It would be plugged so it would have to be removed. It basically moves the jet needle up and down when you turn it. If you choke it partly will it accelerate?