Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Give it some time it looks like it's going to come around to me. Did she ask about replacment? Or did you bring it up?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

The shedding looks normal and the foliage still looks good so you're safe at this point. But the drainage and overwatering definitely have to be addressed or you will lose it for sure. My stance on this issue is this: as the professional you are giving the customer your expertise with the service. If you know going in that the area has issues you should be able to correct them or choose a plant to best fit the area(at their expense of course). If the customer decides they want to make the decisions against your advice then refuse to do it or refuse to warranty it. Whatever you do,going forward, I would write up a clear warranty that you will adhere to, that a customer will receive before service so questions are answered up front.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to start scratching around your root ball to see what is happening at a 6" depth or more... is the burlap off and is the water interacting with the surrounding soil???

I think this issue is too important to leave to assumptions about the rootball...

This story reminds me of the irrigation plumber that said a couple of bushes buried on the hillside in sand was drowned becuz the sprinklers came on every day to keep the perennials alive...

I told the client "Do what you want,,, I'm not concerned about that hillside anymore"...

Next week the B&B was replaced and what was dug out was a rockhard ball of dried up clay... Now the question is:
How did the moron, come to the conclusion, that his sprinklers actually drowned aplant with a 2' rootball???

Please Note there is no hyperbole directed towards anyone on this forum, but rather the descriptive terms in reference guy in the story are as kind as I can come up with...
Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The tree is a dwarf hinoki cypress. I know arborvitae's drop foliage from the inside. But, this looks more from being wet then just normal shedding.

The majority of the soil make up where this was planted is clay. That's why I planted it high. I hate digging shrubs up after they've been planted but seeing this thing has only been in the ground not even two weeks, maybe I could remove the majority of the clay and mix in a compost type soil with some of the native soil that is not clay. I probably should've done that the first time but I did not know there was that much clay underneath of the mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
maybe I could remove the majority of the clay and mix in a compost type soil with some of the native soil that is not clay. I probably should've done that the first time but I did not know there was that much clay underneath of the mulch.
Bad idea
Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Bad idea
Yeah, I'm just going to leave it and see what happens. I was just thinking out loud. Considering its a b&b there's no way I'm diging it up unless it dies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

You said it was ball and burlap keep in mind that 85% to 90% of that plants root system has been cut away and its not uncommon for B&B stuff to stress after removal. I would explain that to the client and tell them you will apply some rooting hormone and see what it does and if it doesn't improve or gets much worse then talk about replacing it, it may save you the replacement cost.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scratch around enough for the feeder roots to get some air and be sure they're not already rotting, rather they are settling in well to the surrounding soils...
around here the conventional wisdom is,,, there's no need to remove the burlap, even from the necktie around the trunk...

Perhaps a thread should be started about,,, what we do when planting B&Bs...
Old 10-31-2012, 04:14 AM
LawnSite Member

It may just be stressed from being cut from the ground. It's almost impossible to over water a recently planted b&b, at least it is around here. If it dies though, replace it.