Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
If I took on a new client, the first thing I'd do is survey the site to locate all possible places of failure and provide a chart of the locations. Never had anyone complain, especially on Friday.
Ditto what my daddy said. When I take on management of any irrigation system a complete inventory is taken and everything is mapped.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had moles trip the bleeders. If it was one of my clients where the system had been mapped, I could guide him to the v.b. and check the bleeder, or, at least, very gently, dog-down the flow control until I could get over. That sort of service keeps clients happy.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Today I did 3 properties on a stretch on an island. First 2 no power. Cause I'm a good soldier I went to the third to find 2 foot of water in a small basement,.

The whole house service equipment was down there

At least 100k damage if they can salvage the floor
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

How cold does it need to be before you have to blowout a system? It doesn't get that cold here in Sydney but I did a large project in a cold area this past Winter here (it's late Spring now) and I'm not sure if the system needs to be blown out to prevent damage each Autumn. It gets heavy frost most mornings and a bit of snow that usually melts as soon as it hits the ground maybe 4-5 times per year. It is a poly system running off a pump, and the mains and valves are about a foot and a half deep.
I had never even heard of blowing out systems until I came on Lawnsite.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Question for some of you cold weather guys - what is your blow out season like, in terms of start and finish? We are almost done here, and have already had two weather fronts that have gotten down to 20 degrees or lower. Sounds like our time frame is earlier, and shorter, for getting blow outs done. We occasionally will have 1-2 days after Thanksgiving where we can do a handful or two. This week is maybe 50% full, and next week we have 10-15 scheduled. So for me, waiting a week would not be an issue at this point, but that may not be the case in other areas.
Start mid sept, will wrap up and layoff help end of next week. Then I will do straglers for another 3 weeks.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoflow View Post
How cold does it need to be before you have to blowout a system? It doesn't get that cold here in Sydney but I did a large project in a cold area this past Winter here (it's late Spring now) and I'm not sure if the system needs to be blown out to prevent damage each Autumn. It gets heavy frost most mornings and a bit of snow that usually melts as soon as it hits the ground maybe 4-5 times per year. It is a poly system running off a pump, and the mains and valves are about a foot and a half deep.
I had never even heard of blowing out systems until I came on Lawnsite.
You will probably be fine. Maybe just shut of the main and drain any above ground piping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Start mid sept, will wrap up and layoff help end of next week. Then I will do straglers for another 3 weeks.
I tend to keep my guys employed until Thanksgiving, so I let them do the stragglers. I personally am pretty much done. I have two others that I may do as they need some TLC, but we are waiting until next week with them. Time to put up my feet, collect the money, and relax. Overall blow out numbers are still about 30-40 short of last year, but we should get enough stragglers to cover that.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Time to put up my feet, collect the money, and relax.
I sure like your work ethic, Dana!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I sure like your work ethic, Dana!
Damn straight. No point in killing myself from work, I'm gonna die anyway. I make a good living, but not extravagant. I relax, travel, vacation, and spend more time with family, friends and the dogs during the winter months. If I actually enjoyed this industry, I might work harder. But It does give me a good lifestyle to enjoy the good things out there.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Went out to do blowouts , truck one did 6 he had 11 scheduled , 4 had electricity 2 he knew where the valves were the other 5 are bebacks . I went out and did 15 , 9 had no electricity , the little harbor freight generator made me an extra $ 600.00 . The generator was $95.00 on sale .