Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Mow4It Mow4It is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster View Post
want something light!

possibly 20hrs use a year on average.


so probably dont need the most expensive model. but i dont want the cheapo model either
The MS250 has all of these desired specifications. They are good saws - not high end Sthil Pro saws, but still very good quality.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:47 PM
IS500Z's Avatar
IS500Z IS500Z is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 246
Absolutely stick with one of the 'pro' models if you can afford it. If not then a MS280 would be a good choice. For an 18-inch bar you would want around a 60-cc motor. The MS290 is Stihl's best selling saw, but it is also the least expensive 50-cc saw they sell which is why. You pay for that low cost with the worst power to weight ratio in their line.
__________________
HOMEOWNER
Ferris IS500Z
Scag Tiger Cat 48-inch deck, Kawasaki motor
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS500Z View Post
Absolutely stick with one of the 'pro' models if you can afford it. If not then a MS280 would be a good choice. For an 18-inch bar you would want around a 60-cc motor. The MS290 is Stihl's best selling saw, but it is also the least expensive 50-cc saw they sell which is why. You pay for that low cost with the worst power to weight ratio in their line.
That line is not true at all. I've been cutting for 30 years, and I've used a lot of saws over that time. My smallest is my 45 cc Jonsered 2145, and it pulls my 18" bar with no problem even in oak with the bar buried all the way. In softer woods like maple or pine, it does it with ease. I ran an 032 Stihl (51cc) for 20 years with a 20" bar, and it was never lacking power either. An MS 250 is alll the OP needs for his intended use if he is wanting to stay with Stihl.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM
TriCountyLawn's Avatar
TriCountyLawn TriCountyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,519
I wouldnt want to pull a 20" chain with anything less then my 361, ran it for 6 hours today in very hardwood. Makes me want to get a 440...lol
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 PM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,464
I would go with a stihl ms362 if you are going brand new. if you are willing to go used then a 361 or nice used 362 should last you for a long time. I wouldn't go any smaller personally. I personally I ran my ms440 with a 25" bar for a day and it was a beast. I haven't taken the 28" bar off in a year now, and the saw runs pretty good with that on there. I would go with a ms660 but i can't find a good used one, and new one is about 1200 with a 36" bar. you are always gonna want a bigger saw, so I would go with a ms362 if you are really concerned with weight and power. but personally I would go with a ms440 or 460, and you will love it with a 20" bar it will cut through everything with ease....
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM
IS500Z's Avatar
IS500Z IS500Z is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That line is not true at all. I've been cutting for 30 years, and I've used a lot of saws over that time. My smallest is my 45 cc Jonsered 2145, and it pulls my 18" bar with no problem even in oak with the bar buried all the way. In softer woods like maple or pine, it does it with ease. I ran an 032 Stihl (51cc) for 20 years with a 20" bar, and it was never lacking power either. An MS 250 is alll the OP needs for his intended use if he is wanting to stay with Stihl.
This is not a 'line' it is an age-old rule-of-thumb to size a chainsaw engine to a bar length. I put myself through college by working in a variety of lumber companies and have been running chainsaws for decades as well. Your 032 could pull a 20-inch bar but it will do so at a far slower rate than a 361. I am sure your 2145 could cut hardwood with a 20-inch bar but I will be done and back home with my 460 while you are still working.
__________________
HOMEOWNER
Ferris IS500Z
Scag Tiger Cat 48-inch deck, Kawasaki motor
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 PM
jiggz jiggz is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: jerz
Posts: 646
I use my ms250 on everything and i mean everything. Got 3 years on mine with decent use. Its light great power and less then 1/2 the price of the 261..ive brought down some pretty big trees with it..when i need something bigger i grab the pioneer p45 haha that thing is a boat anchor beast of a saw though anyhoo if your not dropping trees all day long its probally your best bet at that price
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM
stihlrunnin's Avatar
stihlrunnin stihlrunnin is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lockport, IL
Posts: 26
I agree with some of the others, I have a 361 with a 20" and it really tears it up. In your situation my second pick on the cheaper end would be a ms280 which is not a pro model but next best thing.
__________________
03 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Bobcat 32"
Exmark Lazer Z Ct
Classen Ca18
Stihl Ms192, Ms361
Stihl BR550, Km90

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 PM
SDLandscapes VT SDLandscapes VT is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Essex, VT
Posts: 579
I have stihls and other saws--you can buy more saw with better power to weight ratio if you look beyond stihl

If it were me and I needed a saw in that category I would buy a dolmar or makita 6401 and upgrade the piston and cylinder to a 79 cc and get a 79 cc saw in the frame of a 64 cc saw--mean power to weight ratio and won't even breathe hard with a 20" bar

not saying stihl doesnt make a good saw, but there are great saws to be had for less money
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS500Z View Post
This is not a 'line' it is an age-old rule-of-thumb to size a chainsaw engine to a bar length. I put myself through college by working in a variety of lumber companies and have been running chainsaws for decades as well. Your 032 could pull a 20-inch bar but it will do so at a far slower rate than a 361. I am sure your 2145 could cut hardwood with a 20-inch bar but I will be done and back home with my 460 while you are still working.
There's a right tool for everything, and too many of you here are offering less than the best advice for the OP. He doesn't need the power of a larger saw. Maybe you should re-read what his intended use for it is. The MS 250 is more than enough for what he needs. As for the "rule"- never heard that one before. Not from any of the loggers I have known, or any of the saw shops I frequent, so I call BS on that, especially if the saw is set up right, and has the proper chain that is sharpened correctly. I don't have a 20" on my 2145. I have the 18" you said required at least 60cc's, and it clearly doesn't. Is more power better? Sometimes, but is it needed for an 18" bar? No.

BTW- I'll put my 2165 against your 361 any day, on any wood, or my 2186 against your 460 and be home before you have even gotten back in your truck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 11-01-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.07729 seconds with 9 queries