Register free!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you hauling the excavated material away? Your area is about 355 yards without a fluff factor. Thats roughly 20 tri-axle loads of fill. Hauling that away will add up quick, especially if the dump site is far away. Too bad your not near me, I need about 5k yards of fill for a client, I'd come haul it away for free for you.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No the client has a area where we are putting all the soil. It is only about 200-300' from the dig area where we are dumping it so. He has a drop off besides his house and it has been eroding away the past few years so we are dumping all the dirt to help that then he is going to plant some stuff in the spring to elimate any more erosion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Wait your going to post pics.... You must not come to this side of the forum much. And while we are on it, what the hell is the visitor page? Sometimes when I try to click a thread my fat fingers hit the thread starter user name instead, and it lists people who have visited it... But visited what? Is there something there to see I'm missing?
The "Visitor" thingie, tells who was digging around on your profile. It could be because they were doing a search maybe on a post one had submitted a while back. It could be because they sent you a private message.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I never told anyone to keep cutting grass. Someone musta had a bad bad Monday
Well, maybe you didn't. But plenty of "regulars" here in the Hardscape Forum come off like that to guys who are breaking into the hardscape forum. Whether you guys realize it or not, you come off to the rest of us as extremely critical, negative, condescending, and elitist. Many (not all) of the regulars in this forum think they are God's gift to Hardscaping or at least it comes off that way. We had this discussion in another recent thread too. You guys don't realize it but everyone is afraid to post anything in this forum because of the attacks and criticism they know is going to come their way if they do.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Well, maybe you didn't. But plenty of "regulars" here in the Hardscape Forum come off like that to guys who are breaking into the hardscape forum. Whether you guys realize it or not, you come off to the rest of us as extremely critical, negative, condescending, and elitist. Many (not all) of the regulars in this forum think they are God's gift to Hardscaping or at least it comes off that way. We had this discussion in another recent thread too. You guys don't realize it but everyone is afraid to post anything in this forum because of the attacks and criticism they know is going to come their way if they do.
It's funny, I posted my first hardscape disaster, I mean project on here to get opinions, help, and guidance. Actually it was posted while I was doing it. However before I took this project on I looked at A LOT of the responses from the so called "Gods" on this forum and learned a couple of things.

A.) Be humble when asking for criticisms, they may actually be right

B.) Post build pictures, not just end of the project. All on here would say that the prep and planning are the most important stage.

C.) Show some competence in that you tried learning before you started digging. (I attending some build day seminars by manufacturers, and read a ton of manuals/literature on building)

I got some good "Wow that was bad" or "Do this way next time" My answers were "Yea you're right" or "Yep totally missed the boat on that one", etc....... Some of the threads I read before I did mine was that many of the topic creators would get rudely offensive when someone said "You did that wrong" or "Something doesn't look right?" Instead of either explaining the why about it, it just turned into a fight because everyone didn't say "Wow looks amazing" I agree this forum is sometimes overly harshly critical, but hardscaping takes more effort to look good then putting mulch on a berm. Eventhough my project didn't turn out perfect I sure learned a lot for the next one. I won't lie, I had sweaty palms and a high heart rate posting pictures though!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
They do that because certain jack$%^&* immediately tell them to go back to cutting grass, they aren't qualified, don't know what they are doing, they are in over their head, and let the "professionals" do it because they are clearly incapable of performing such a complex task.

Food for thought.
couldn't agree more...
Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
very well said Jim...the irrigation forum isn't much better, is it
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's for sure. The irrigation forum is actually the worst forum on Lawnsite. And that's a part of this business where I have some serious expertise. I'm even on one of the boards at Rain Bird. But I don't even bother posting anything in that forum anymore. I've totally given up. Half the guys in that forum aren't even in the business anymore! Yet they will totally chastise you up and down for the brand you use, the way you do irrigation (e.g. in Oregon we trench and do PVC pipe, other states they use a plow in poly pipe) or any stupid thing they can think of. Or else they'll just start with the personal attacks. I don't know what the guys problem is in that forum. But I've totally given up on that one. It's like 80% think-they-know-it-all jerks in that forum.

This forum isn't quite that bad. At least most of the guys in this forum who are rude and condescending actually know the business, are still actively doing hardscapes and are really good at it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i know exactly who you are talking about in the irrigation forum, it's pretty pathetic actually...i stand back in the shadows on that forum, and on this one as well...i will agree, this forum isn't half as bad as the irrigation...i know much more about irrigation than hardscaping tho, but that's why i'm here...it sucks watching these guys come in and ask questions of where i once was and where everyone else was at some point and watch them get bashed...i agree you have to do it right, but that is why we are all here...if we wanted to do it wrong, we would just build a wall and wing it...