Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Capemay.....

You guys ok after Sandy?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure how many areas got whacked by the storm but it sure looks bad all over the northeast. Must say the weathermen called this one right. Hope everyone is ok.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Texting with a buddy that lives in Monmouth Junction yesterday. He's been using a generator but said the people on the coast got it far worse than they did. Nasty storm.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live right down the street of Sandy Hook..a mile from the bay...it's a war zone around these parts by the water..inland..it's a shame...lots of rebuilding...lots and lots of trees down..it's going to take some time to get the power back ..they said anywhere from a week to 3 weeks best...fuel is tough to get around here too..gotta run out west to fill up the cans..I have a bunch of cans and mowers sitting with gas so helping your neighbors with 5 gallons here and there is the thing to do..people lost everything....whole towns gone..national guard took over most of the town along the shore up here..at least it's not to cold or hot..cheers...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All good AV, thanks for asking. Not much damage at my home, had more problems with Irene, cannot say the same for the rental properties. 2ft of water and mud in the first floor. The landfall of Sandy did not feel that strong, but after the eye passed and part 2 hit, all fury broke loose. The storm actually strengthened a bit right before landfall. The storm also speed up, it doubled the speed, that was kind of a blessing. It was originally supposed to linger here for quite a bit, but passed much quicker than thought.

I bought two generators and never lost power. The yard is trashed as expected. 2 years in a row taking the direct hit. Thank goodness Irene slowed to a cat 1 last year. Irene was supposed to come in as a cat 3 or 4 and if that would have been the case, this place would probably be unrecognizable. I mean the damage is staggering on what Sandy did as a cat 1, I just cannot imagine what a powerful hurricane would have done. It is only a matter of time before it happens.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good to hear both of you guys are ok. I've never experienced weather like that and I hope I never do. My heart goes out to everyone that was affected by it.