Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
We deal with mostly high end customers. Two reasons why you shouldn't post your prices. If you post your prices you are going after price shoppers. Not the people I wanna go after. If you wanna go after the price shoppers than all the other lowballers in the area will know what you are charging and be able to lowball you back.

As far as doing instant quotes on line-again live by the price sword die by the price sword. At the very least take a look at the job and sell the job on the phone, otherwise go to the property and meet with the customer. My closing rates are significantly higher when selling myself and my product rather than how cheap we can do it. Tell them what you do differently from the 50,000 landscapers around you. When someone goes to your website and looks for prices they are going to go with the cheapest.
Yeah you made some good points. It's funny, but I've only met about 15-20% of my customers. Most of my customers fill out a contact page on my website and prefer to be contacted through email. so...talking to them in person is usually not done at all, otherwise I would sell in person.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I will always bid a yard in person and do a walkthrough with the homeowner. Knowing expectations from both parties is vital for avoiding problems down the road. I can always weed out a pita in person. Like others have said you could leave money on the table by not meeting with the homeowner in person.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most of my customers prefer email contact. I've only met between 15-20% of my customers. Not sure why that is and most of my customers home values are in the $300-$400K. So they're not low end, but they're not high end neither.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i was gonna ask a similar question.. i've added starting prices on my website. for instance, mowing starting at $40.00 weekly.. dunno.. trying to weed out the cheapskates.
Has this helped your business?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i literally did this change yesterday, so way to early to tell. i see alot of good points in this thread not to leave prices and i'm kinda wishy washy about doing it.. i just don't have time to cut lawns for $25.00 or talk to a potential client who thinks thats what it should cost. so if i can avoid dealing with those people i'd be better off. i've come across potential customers who want it done for that cheap, and only want it done every month, or when they think they need it, etc.. i've had enough of that with using craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Has this helped your business?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got off craigslist quick! nothing but price shoppers and cheapskates, People buy from people they like and trust, and if you don't ever meet them they don't know if they like or trust you. I like having that personal connection with all my customers, I want them to know who is going to be on their property. I get a lot of "I like my landscaper" comments from my customers, matter of fact I closed a new account today because the client said he like the way I presented myself.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I got off craigslist quick! nothing but price shoppers and cheapskates, People buy from people they like and trust, and if you don't ever meet them they don't know if they like or trust you. I like having that personal connection with all my customers, I want them to know who is going to be on their property. I get a lot of "I like my landscaper" comments from my customers, matter of fact I closed a new account today because the client said he like the way I presented myself.
yeah good point. I'm assuming my customers trust me from the start because I'm a Veteran of the Iraqi war. I guess I'd trust a Vet. any day. Not saying they're all honest, but I would give a Veteran the benefit of the doubt any day of the week.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
I've been trying to think about Lawn Care websites from the customers perspective...not sure if this is helpful. But, what are some thoughts about posting prices on a website? Maybe breaking down prices for up to x amount of square feet, etc.?

Please let me know if this is a bad idea or a good business plan.
I wouldn't do it. Too many variables plus I wouldn't want anyone knowing my prices. Next thing you know every company, legit or not will be saying they could beat your price for xyz.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger View Post
I wouldn't do it. Too many variables plus I wouldn't want anyone knowing my prices. Next thing you know every company, legit or not will be saying they could beat your price for xyz.
Yeah the competitors knowing my price could be a potential problem...
Old 11-03-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I have prices on my website and I feel like it helps my marketing. I also live in a large metro area with lots of competition. We aren't the cheapest or the highest. We are affordably priced and provide exceptional service.

Most of my calls this late summer/fall have been from people where their previous guy up and quit. Normally I find out they were $5-15 cheaper than our price. I still get alot of that buisness.

I have links to my local appraisal district where people can look up their lot size to see what their price is.

I can say this without a doubt thanks to Craigslist. I have tested the same add with and without prices and the one with prices gets a lot more clicks over to my website.

Funny thing is most people still call and want me to give them a price for their lawn service
Cypress Lawn Service
Richmond Lawn Service
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier GreenScape View Post
I have prices on my website and I feel like it helps my marketing. I also live in a large metro area with lots of competition. We aren't the cheapest or the highest. We are affordably priced and provide exceptional service.

Most of my calls this late summer/fall have been from people where their previous guy up and quit. Normally I find out they were $5-15 cheaper than our price. I still get alot of that buisness.

I have links to my local appraisal district where people can look up their lot size to see what their price is.

I can say this without a doubt thanks to Craigslist. I have tested the same add with and without prices and the one with prices gets a lot more clicks over to my website.

Funny thing is most people still call and want me to give them a price for their lawn service
How do you feel it helps your marketing?