Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

whats your slow release % in the spring? typically quick release nitrogen will cause you some issues. Also, have you tried dethatching or various aeration methods to promote air circulation?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
here in raleigh, the turf mgmnt dept at nc state recommends not watering at night because they believe that it increases the conditions that favor brown patch... not trying to start an argument here, i am wondering if it's because of the difference in location from you or something.
Just think Of my watering like an all night rain from mother nature! I only allow mother nature to irrigate when the turf is beginning to go understress, and will water as many nites as needed to wet the soil 3" deep.

If you lightly water ever night or everyother nite, which is very common scheduling of the irrigation people set up, perfect for brown patch!

Yes night watering helps many diseases, thats why I water as infrequent as possible! Deep, infrequent irrigation is the best for turfgrass!

Hope this helps
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timturf View Post

Yes night watering helps many diseases...
That's what the experts tell me, and why I do not recommend it to my customers.

Glad we agree.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Thanks guys. I usually put down fertilizer in Feb, Sept, and Nov for a total of 3 lbs N per year. I've thought about increasing that slightly and adding a 4th app.... maybe another .5 lb or just do .75 lb each app?

The heat kills my fescue every year(don't have very many, but they don't want to change). I was wondering if adding an extra spring app(may) or fall app(Oct) would help to develop a stronger plant that would with stand the heat.
IMO a fall app will help to create a stronger plant..
also just my opinion.. If you want to help grow stronger plants in the spring I would aerate it in 2 directions probally now so the soil settles by march/april (depending on the type) and hit it with a fert in the spring along with some cutlass to remove top growth and focus it twords root developement