Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

What should I do to get 30 accounts next spring?

Okay

I started in this business spring of 2012. I ended this season with around 10 weekly customers. I would like to add 30 weekly customers next year to have forty accounts in total. I was wondering if I should knock on doors, or just leave fliers on doors, which works best for you? And how many fliers should I distribute if I would like to obtain 30 new profitable, not PITA accounts. Thanks. Also, how do you get the majority of your clients? And how much better was your second year compared to your first year in this business?
5x10 Trailer
Bolens Weed Eater
Weed Eater Brand Blower

Payed cash for everything but the truck, the only way to succeed in this business.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would get a working mower
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2012, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a working mower?

I have a working mower, as you can obviously see in my list of equipment under my avatar. Please don't waste my time with pointless answers.
5x10 Trailer
Bolens Weed Eater
Weed Eater Brand Blower

Payed cash for everything but the truck, the only way to succeed in this business.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I would get a working mower
Posted via Mobile Device
Now that's funny. Also to the OP it's paid, not payed . If you just started this year good luck weeding out PITA's and only mowing the gravy accounts. Advertise your area and remember that word of mouth is the best and least expensive advertising.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrassBoy View Post
I have a working mower, as you can obviously see in my list of equipment under my avatar. Please don't waste my time with pointless answers.
you wasted a lot more of your time responding to my answer than actually reading it.

was referring to this
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=391140
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, we sure have a lot of guys on this thread that are willing to help out! Not! More like, people hassling a guy asking an honest question.

Here's my advice: Get a website if you don't have one and unless you know how to build websites I would have someone build it for you. Fliers are a good idea. The more the better obviously, it's a numbers game. But I understand you might not want to spend a lot on advertising. So, maybe hang like 10K fliers.

That should give you a good start.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Especially in the beginning you need leads coming in everyday, therefore you need a lead generating system in place, IMOP fliers are a huge waste of time and money as far as rate of return, what happens when you get up to twenty or thirty accounts you have to maintain and no longer have time to put out more fliers for more business? I agree word of mouth is the best and cheapest form of advertising but it's also the slowest, who wants to grow slow? I want fast controlled growth, how many new accounts can you handle on a weekly basis? I like two or three a week, it gives me time to rearrange the schedule and adjust the route's without getting overwhelmed.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This question gets asked everday. Search button is here for a reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

No one is hassling anyone. They should change the name of this to babysite or cumbayasite....it was a joke, calm down newguy. I swear, I have never seen more crybabies gather in one place in my life.

The good news is that if you offend someone, chances are they wont be around next year at this time and there will be a new crop of guys asking whether or not they should hand out fliers or use newspaper ads, or start a new lowballer thread. They probably won't be able to use the search function either.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Especially in the beginning you need leads coming in everyday, therefore you need a lead generating system in place, IMOP fliers are a huge waste of time and money as far as rate of return, what happens when you get up to twenty or thirty accounts you have to maintain and no longer have time to put out more fliers for more business? I agree word of mouth is the best and cheapest form of advertising but it's also the slowest, who wants to grow slow? I want fast controlled growth, how many new accounts can you handle on a weekly basis? I like two or three a week, it gives me time to rearrange the schedule and adjust the route's without getting overwhelmed.
So you say flyers are a waste, which in some cases they are and sometimes they are not. But how does one get from 10 to 30 accounts? Word of mouth takes a very long time to get from 10 to 30.. I understand that ones you have the 30 accounts you wont have much time to handle passing out fliers. Im in the same boat as the OP

To the OP I was going to start handing out fliers in the next two weeks for next season. Thinking about giving them a "special rate" if they sign up before January 1st or something. Also since you're not allowed to anything in the mail box. I was thinking to buy doorknob bags and but the fliers in that, and hang them on the flag. Or even the door knob. Good luck
Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
Stihl FS 90R
Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''
Plus miscellaneous equipment

Solo Operation
www.baslawnservice.com
Picture Thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347985