Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
How do you feel it helps your marketing?
Not trying to take over here, but I've found that Marketing is a very individual trial and error kinda thing, what works for one might not work for the other. One thing for sure, with any marketing you do make sure you can measure the results and only have one or two marketing campaigns going at a time. If you get too much going on you lose track of where leads are coming from, well maybe not, but I do! One of the first questions I ask any new client is "Where did you hear about us ? " I keep track of every lead and where it came from on a spreadsheet labeled "Lead tracking" LOL. I can tell you where every lead I've gotten over the last two seasons came from.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I use to put prices on my website with what they will get for that price and I started to receive less phone calls. Most people just want to hear a price. I found it to be a better marketing technique to allow them to call and to actually speak with me on the phone or to have me come out and visit them in person. When they see me in person I get the opportunity to chit chat with them and then I have a higher chance of gaining there business.

The other reason I took the prices down was because I had the suspicion that competitors might be checking my prices out and lower there prices to out bid me. That's one thing I don't want them to do because that will eventual make things hard for me.

The final reason is because people will see your prices and think that's the final price no matter what. For example, a 1/4 acre yard might be $45 and up. All they see is the $45 they don't want to hear that the amount of trees, gardens, hills, etc... may make it higher. You have to see the yard to give a good estimates.
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

With Google Analytics I can see how many time a particular ad has caused someone to go to my website. I have tested the same add with and without pricing, and the ads with pricing create more referrals to my website.

I have my own opinions about why it works but I don't have the same statistics to back it up. We live in fast pace environment and people want answer immediately. I know that if I don't close a client the first time I talk to them the chances of me getting their business are at least 50% lower.

I have returned voicemails 10-15 minutes later and they have already found someone else, that is a weekly occurrence.

Everybody has different business plans, so what works for one doesn't work for the other. I wish we all took more of a coaching role to help people with their questions, rather than some of the posts I see.
Cypress Lawn Service
Richmond Lawn Service
Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tested the same add with and without pricing, and the ads with pricing create more referrals to my website.

This is very interesting. I agree with you, people are impatient, I know I am. They want answers and they want it now. In most cases I am able to answer my phone right away. But if I was a prospective customer I would go straight down the until I heard from someone. By posting prices this shortcuts the process for them and helps them make a decision quicker.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Sponsor

Yes, I agree. But you have to give the correct price from the beginning right when the customer wants it. We have use the acculawnsystems.com method for the past 3 years and have seen much success as a result of getting to the customer first with accurate quotes for services that we provide. People are used to having information at the click of a mouse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acculawnsystems View Post
Yes, I agree. But you have to give the correct price from the beginning right when the customer wants it. We have use the acculawnsystems.com method for the past 3 years and have seen much success as a result of getting to the customer first with accurate quotes for services that we provide. People are used to having information at the click of a mouse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah great point. Now on the issue of competitors seeing your prices, is that a concern for you?
Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Sponsor

We have built in a way to minimize exposure to your competition. You can choose to post your prices for that particular property on your site or you can set it to only email quotes to customers. You are able to set a limit in the amount of bids any one email address receives so your competition will be limited to 2 emailed bids. If a competitor is that interested in getting your prices they will find a way whether or not you are posting them on your website or physically handing out bids there are ways to find out. However, this method of limiting emailed bids is one more obstacle they have to overcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acculawnsystems View Post
We have built in a way to minimize exposure to your competition. You can choose to post your prices for that particular property on your site or you can set it to only email quotes to customers. You are able to set a limit in the amount of bids any one email address receives so your competition will be limited to 2 emailed bids. If a competitor is that interested in getting your prices they will find a way whether or not you are posting them on your website or physically handing out bids there are ways to find out. However, this method of limiting emailed bids is one more obstacle they have to overcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay I see how you do that. Good idea.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Newguy123,

Do you have subdivisions or markets with a similar lot size that you can calculate your price based on their size?

I have hit up a neighborhood with a mowing price written on the back of the card for weekly and biweekly rates and received very good results.
Cypress Lawn Service
Richmond Lawn Service
Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Premier,

Yes where I am there are numerous subdivisions with almost identical square footage and no fences at all. There's an ordinance against them.

With your written prices on the back of your card, how many had you put out and what was your response rate? I was thinking about doing exactly what you described.
Posted via Mobile Device