Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fish...is your "dedicated one " tool a funnel for installing pistons ?

Pugs...I give up...not sure what the Craftsman,cresent wrench was modified for...
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Fish...is your "dedicated one " tool a funnel for installing pistons ?

Pugs...I give up...not sure what the Craftsman,cresent wrench was modified for...
No, on the funnel, it's an old Kaw. starter body with magnet shards still glued on, but..........

I'm thinkin' Pugs' wrench could be an adjustable steel bung wrench?

......AMF!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
I don't know what you use that for but it looks like a pilot jet cleaner to me....
Bingo!

For the benefit of those that don't know, a regular "tag wire" is too big in dia. and wont fit in a brass jet, and could ruin the remove-able plastic pilot jets!
So, just cut a wire off, and yer good to go.

Name:  008.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  011.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  141.6 KB

Without the hint just about any answer would be correct.

......AMF!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The wrench I posted is for holding electric clutches while torquing the bolt. Most Warners have a very heavy insert that is round with 2 flat spots but its recessed up so you cant get to the flats easy.

Also for the Honda carbs, honda has a nice Jet cleaning set with 10 sizes of wire that isnt very expensive. Probably have 3-5 of them around the shop right now. Look like torch tip cleaners but they are just smooth wires.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
The wrench I posted is for holding electric clutches while torquing the bolt. Most Warners have a very heavy insert that is round with 2 flat spots but its recessed up so you cant get to the flats easy.

Also for the Honda carbs, honda has a nice Jet cleaning set with 10 sizes of wire that isnt very expensive. Probably have 3-5 of them around the shop right now. Look like torch tip cleaners but they are just smooth wires.
Makes more sense than a bung wrench, especially in a small eng. forum, but that's all I could think of. I use an air impact on most clutch/ crank bolts.

Yeah, I got/had one of them Honda jet cleaning tools, but to tell ya the truth, I usually end up using the ol' wire brush trick.

......AMF!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Amazing....over 2500 hits and still no contributions from the bricks and mortar of this site...
I'm referring to RestroRob and Dutch....of course...You gotta know that they have come up with some pretty neat improvised tools over the years...you don't hang around to long in this business if you can't think on your feet and overcome a few obstacles..
I didn't show all my contraptions either...you can't give up all your trade secrets....
Thanx again....

SLAPPER
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
I'm referring to RestroRob and Dutch....of course...You gotta know that they have come up with some pretty neat improvised tools over the years...

Alright Slapper..... Guess I'll get off my keester and take the ole camera to work.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Slapper, it's not appropriate to "call out" the old fart of the bunch.

I feel the spotlight getting warmer but you've got to realize I'm technologically challenged--computer and digital camera. The only digital camera I have is on my cellphone and what pictures I take, seem to stay there. I've never learned to get the picture from the camera to the computer. When I can get the grandkids to get me started, I'll post a few.

Yea, I got some of those "make do" tools in my box as well(doesn't everybody who's been in the business a while) and some I have already given away to a couple of young bucks that are making a start in the small engine/outdoor equipment business. I've pretty much limited my work to primarily push mowers/hand held stuff and an occasional homeower lawn tractor. Getting to old to crawl around on the ground anymore.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
An easy one:

Attachment 259808
No takers?

......AMF!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know about the crawling around the floor issues...
I think people are magnetic...the longer you hang around on this planet..the more gravity you absorb.
That's what makes it so tough to get up from the floor....its just a theory...mind you.....