Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even when surrounded by "mulch", your pot will likely be frozen solid by the time the top 4" of the earth is frozen... and will begin to thaw on a warm sunny day, especially as late Feb rolls around...

Not only will the mulch not be very effective above the earth,,, but the pot will not hold enough water to prevent dessication from the cold air and especially wind... use a pickaxe if necessary,,, but get those pots in the earth, soak them down and mulch over the top...

That method is as foolproof as correctly planting them... continue to water until the mulch is either frozen to the topsoil or under snow...
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay question - assuming I can't get a landscaper to dig me a trench... I have two options

1- Place plants under the deck - almost no wind. Buttom is concrete not grass though - water, then mulch 'em in.... now it's concrete... so...

2- Place them on grass, water them, mulch 'em in - may be windy-ish

Which of the two is better?
Old 11-03-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

^Sorry site won't let me edit - have to repost:

Okay question - assuming I can't get a landscaper to dig me a trench... I have two options

1- Place plants under the deck - almost no wind. Buttom is concrete not grass though - water, then mulch 'em in.... now it's concrete... so...

2- Place them on grass, water them, mulch 'em in - may be windy-ish

Which of the two is better?

EDITING: Okay I need to be honest here... I'm a pathetic excuse for a female (oh and I live alone for the nest 6 months)- I can't lift 40 pounds worth of stuff - much less dig a hole that will fit a 140++ pound plant (the larger one is). I can dig a large not-so-deep hole and toss the plants in then cover with mulch. Would this work? A hole that may not cover the entire pot, then water it, then mulch it. If I have to, I could remove the mulch during the winter and water it every so often. Problem is... we're fully landscaping and we got actual rocks! Yes rocks... the person before us had a drive way build and filled the ground with pebbles/rocks or something - hence the total landscaping... so planting is not an option. The backyard is for grass and that has already been layed so I don't want to disrupt it but digging holes there (at least temporary holes).
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The mulch above the soil line may not be the best, but it may be adequate, i.e., succussful... I would not mulch with leaves, because of rodents more than anything, but rather heap on as many woodchips as possibble... water the roots well and water the wood chips well and yes,,, add water during the winter as needed...
Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Amy,

Just put them under your deck and follow suggestion #2 in your original post and "mulch" the pots with something like snow for example. If you need to, put up a temporary wind screen and preferably keep them out of full sun.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

So.. going to do this tomorrow...

Huddle plants together under the deck (the ground under there is made out of concrete and that's fine right??? not grass), don't mulch under them (as it will let cold air around the roots), but around and on them. Water the roots/mulch initially then as needed.

FYI I'm using the red mulch you buy at the stores.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like that will work as well as you can do,,, be sure there's enough mulch to keep your pots from busting open at 20 below zero... good luck...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyL View Post
FYI I'm using the red mulch you buy at the stores.
If by mulch you mean wood chips, I might suggest using something that is more dense (i.e. less air voids), like compost or snow.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay last post I promise (I hope)

I read somewhere (google) that cardboard boxes will actually work for a base. I have a TON of those and was thinking I can place those under the plants (under the deck, on top of the cement - same area) instead of the cement 'cause I remember reading somewhere (in school) that cement holds temp (aka the cold) and wouldn't that possibly transmit it to the roots

Thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's help
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just be careful of your insulating material doesn't hold too much water and freezes into a solid block of dirty ice... your pots need to be surrounded by relatively dry material and as long at the boxes don't help hold water in your mulch they should be fine...
yes, a layer of cardboard on top of cement is better than sitting on cement...

Are you covering the pots and their mulch with something???