Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Firing too many Employees

Do you ever wonder if you fire too many guys? I just fired my 2nd guy in about 6 weeks. They know what they need to do and I let them know if they are pushing it with bad attitudes etc.. but they don't seem to listen so I fire them. It's getting old and I wonder if there is something else I should do.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re-evaluate your hiring/training practices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm95 View Post
Do you ever wonder if you fire too many guys? I just fired my 2nd guy in about 6 weeks. They know what they need to do and I let them know if they are pushing it with bad attitudes etc.. but they don't seem to listen so I fire them. It's getting old and I wonder if there is something else I should do.

Thanks for the input.
LOL, welcome to the fun side of this business. We've been through 8 or 9 guys this year. Its a sign of the times, very few people both young and older have any type of work ethic. so many people these days think they're entitled. We just hired on 2 guys after the other 2 who were with us pretty much all summer just quite showing up. It doesn't faze me anymore, yes it's left us in a bind a few times but we got through it then moved on to "the next guy". This last batch of applicants looks very promising, even had a few guys call back multiple times which is a new thing for us. We started doing the normal interview then a working interview. I let them all know if it doesnt work out so long, no offense but things aren't going to work out. You can usually tell if they're going to work out or not in a matter of a day or so.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input.
Whats there problems mostly, is it just there bad attitudes. If they have bad attitudes it's for the best that you get rid of them. That's most of my problem with my guys. I tell them not to complain and whine about stuff at the job because it brings everyone down, and it's disrespectful to me the boss i think. Unfortunately, i listen to there crap sometimes and let it slide just so we can keep getting work done.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't apply to me since I'm solo but I was thinking maybe I fire too many customer's. I'll think about it tomorrow while cutting and get back with you.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Whats there problems mostly, is it just there bad attitudes. If they have bad attitudes it's for the best that you get rid of them. That's most of my problem with my guys. I tell them not to complain and whine about stuff at the job because it brings everyone down, and it's disrespectful to me the boss i think. Unfortunately, i listen to there crap sometimes and let it slide just so we can keep getting work done.
I do the same thing, I just let it go sometimes but then I get my fill and let them go. This last guy would bring his home problems to work, if he didn't get to mow when he wanted to, he would pout and work slow and just not talk or look at anyone. Like you said it brings guys down and everyone would walk on egg shells. Today was the last straw with a nother hissy fit from him,so I fired him.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I do the same thing, I just let it go sometimes but then I get my fill and let them go. This last guy would bring his home problems to work, if he didn't get to mow when he wanted to, he would pout and work slow and just not talk or look at anyone. Like you said it brings guys down and everyone would walk on egg shells. Today was the last straw with a nother hissy fit from him,so I fired him.
Wow! Sounds exactly like the problems I had with a few guys this year as well. It must be the new generation of landscape and construction labors in general that act like this. Some of these guys just can't get there lives together and will be miserable at work. It is hard on me the boss, I allways feel like I have to baby my employees to keep everyone in the right attitude for work each day, that ends of leaving me with alot of uneeded stress. You sooner or lator have to get rid of those guys and just keep trying to find new guys. My new goal every year is to have a good solid crew for each season, by the end of the year I usually have to get new guys in thye spring, because most of my guys had enough of landscaping by the fall. Your not alone buddy, most guys on here will agree.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Trust me it's not just landscape and construction workers it's the work force in general, everybody wants to START at the top, not WORK their way to the top. Bad attitudes, take it for so long but once I've had it I've had it and your gone. I tellem up front, leave all your drama at the front door we don't have time for it. As for customers, I love firing customers, especially the ones that think their entititled to a landscaper and know more than I do about MY job.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

welcome to the world of low wage service jobs and being an employer.

I wonder how many expected free health care
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
welcome to the world of low wage service jobs and being an employer.

I wonder how many expected free health care
Ugh my guys don't make minimum wage! I like being able to mentor the ones that WANT to learn and learn what it takes to actually EARN a days pay!