Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Picture of the first install truck I ever bought. It was a truck a large company retired, but it still had a lot of life. I have repainted it twice. V-8, gas, 5 on the floor, no a/c, or power anything. I remember when I bought it a lot of guys in the industry kind of smirked when they saw me rolling around. We use it for a repair truck now.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is the new truck for the project manager. I beat myself up a few times before I handed over the check for the chevy, but the numbers don't lie. First new truck I have ever bought for the company. The TRUE towing capacity and the fuel mileage is great. Project manager also does all of our Resi Sales, so this truck gets a lot of miles. Next year I am getting a Prius for sales. I am really going to beat myself up before I sign that check.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Picture of the first install truck I ever bought. It was a truck a large company retired, but it still had a lot of life. I have repainted it twice. V-8, gas, 5 on the floor, no a/c, or power anything. I remember when I bought it a lot of guys in the industry kind of smirked when they saw me rolling around. We use it for a repair truck now.
That is pretty nice good idea. There was a guy rolled int our area with a real long trailer with racks on top and the open shelves in the trailer. It didn't look nice but I am sure it worked. He was in and out same day.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
That is pretty nice good idea. There was a guy rolled int our area with a real long trailer with racks on top and the open shelves in the trailer. It didn't look nice but I am sure it worked. He was in and out same day.
I started with an 18' trailer with pipe racks and expanded metal baskets down the sides. I would pull the trailer to the job in the morning, go do sales and paper work all day, then come and pick it up around 5-6. I will snap a pic tomorrow when I get to the shop, it may look familiar to you. haha

That got really old fast, but when your starting out there is no choice.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have two vans we are using for repairs. Well the second one is not being used yet but will be next year if we can get an irrigation guy. We like the new chev we got it had some rack that came in it and that worked out real nice.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
We have two vans we are using for repairs. Well the second one is not being used yet but will be next year if we can get an irrigation guy. We like the new chev we got it had some rack that came in it and that worked out real nice.
Finding good repair tech's is very hard. Two of my best installers cannot pass the tech license exam, they are from Mexico and were never educated past the 4th grade. It is not a knowledge problem, they just do not have good test taking skills. It is a shame, they are the brightest, hard working men I know. They both recently started on their GED, I pay for it and let them off at 5pm to go to class.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Finding good repair tech's is very hard. Two of my best installers cannot pass the tech license exam, they are from Mexico and were never educated past the 4th grade. It is not a knowledge problem, they just do not have good test taking skills. It is a shame, they are the brightest, hard working men I know. They both recently started on their GED, I pay for it and let them off at 5pm to go to class.
Kinda interesting .......... we are on the same page.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Kinda interesting .......... we are on the same page.
I believe there should be two avenues to the tech's license. One being the class/test, and another being the class/field test. I have one guy that can trouble shoot any electrical/mechanical problem, knows the flow rates of all the pipes/nozzles, and can put together a system with no input form me. I even turn to him when I cannot figure something out, yet he cannot pass the tech exam and I made a 96 on the LI exam.

The problem is the guys learn all the part names, and terminology in English, and then they take the test in Spanish. Apparently the terms/and words are much different and confuses them, also the "proper" Spanish is much different than the Spanish my guys speak.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Concrete work on a comm site
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

-12" pgp ultra pressure regulated

-3" Mainline in a 20"x6" trench
Attached Images