Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Honda HHT25 SLTA or Husqvarna 224L?

I searched the web as I figured someone would have asked this before. Couldn't find squat. I'm certian the Honda is a champion trimmer but I'm not so sure about the husky. It seems as if their stuff lately has been pretty user friendly and overall just designed well.

Since they have the same heart (Honda GX25), which is better and why?

The Honda is ~$350 new and the Husky is ~$330.

Or for a homeowner would getting the 35cc Honda trimmer make more sense for only $30 more?

I'm currently using a 30cc 2 stroke John Deere (Homelite) s1400. I've had it for 7+ years and its really been an amazing trimmer. It starts 2nd-3rd pull every time and I think it has a ton of power. I briefly owned a poulan pro 25cc 2 stroke trimmer (bought off Craigslist to have something to mess with/take apart to see what makes these little 2 stroke engines run but ended up fixing it and reselling it on the list. But that thing was absolutely horrible.

So what can you tell me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had Huskys (3 straight shafts), a very long time. Very dependable and easy to start. Just use the NON-Ethanol and a quality oil mix (50:1) and think ahead to a plastic flapper head i,f you'll be using it for any high weeds. If so, then go up a model or check online if a particular model will accommodate such head.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Unfortunately there is no Ethanol free gas in STL, every station is at 15%. I use stabil and don't use large enough tanks to allow fort fuel to sit for longer than 4-6 weeks even though its treated.

I will be using it 99% of the time at my home where I have no tall grasses/weeds to cut. Maybe once a year I would take it to my wife's family farm to do some heavier trimming but that's a big maybe (they got equipment down there).

Maybe I should be asking what the power of the 25cc four stroke Honda motor felt like in comparison to 30cc 2 stroke trimmers?

I have never been let down by my s1400 and can only think that that Honda/husky though down 5cc's would still have to vw more powerful?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Both are good units and will give you years of service. The Honda is a 4-stroke so you will not need to mix oil and gas. The downside of the Honda is it is heavier than a comparable two stroke unit.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

For a homeowner, unless you are clearing thick pasture brush lol - I would go down to the Husqy 223L. It is lighter, less $, just as good a trimmer and a long lasting, reliable 2 stroke.

I have an Echo SRM 225 which is comparable to the Husqy, and it is plenty of trimmer for just about anyone....even LCO's use them for trimming.

Why spend an extra $100 for a heavier unit if you don't have to.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
For a homeowner, unless you are clearing thick pasture brush lol - I would go down to the Husqy 223L. It is lighter, less $, just as good a trimmer and a long lasting, reliable 2 stroke.

I have an Echo SRM 225 which is comparable to the Husqy, and it is plenty of trimmer for just about anyone....even LCO's use them for trimming.

Why spend an extra $100 for a heavier unit if you don't have to.
I'm certain the 223L would be a great machine but I really want the 4 stroke engine. I will probably try to go to HD this Thursday to see if I can get the HHT25 and the 224L in my hands to see the differences in feel/options are.
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Why the 4 stroke? Any particular reason....? The 2 stroke will outlast the 4 stroke by a long shot.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

What leads you to believe that? Four strokes run at a lower rpm hence lower temps and the oiling system in a four stroke allows for much better lubrication.

I have actually never read that 2 strokes last longer and actually that four strokes across the board last much longer.

Then their is the torque of the four stroke and the overall increased efficiency the combustion process promotes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Every 4 stroke piece I have ever owned has died a terrible death. Never with a 2 stroke. The rule of a 4 stroke lasting longer generally is true, if properly maintained with oil changes. 2 stroke never needs that and as long as you use a quality high temp mix oil, it should a homeowner 10 years or more.

Plus the 4 strokes are heavier and don't wind up power wise as fast.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Isn't proper maintenance always a prerequisite to equipment longevity? I do not think changing oil in a 4-stroke engine routinely is any more difficult than making a 2T mix with the proper oil level.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate