Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, what do you get per acre anyway?

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW Andy View Post
I bought a Toro this fall. The machine is so nimble and maneuverable. I love it. I learned today that you can aerate shady thin grass. I lowered the pressure to about 180 psi and it didn't rip the grass.
I tightened the chains already, couldn't believe how much they stretched.
I asked the Exmark rep at the GIE and he told me that the Toro and the Exmark 30" ride on aerators are identical.
I was cruising on my last job of the day today and I broke the drive wheel hydro belt. I took a good look at everything under the machine.
1). The 2 hydro pulleys do not look like they are in the same plane. They look like they tip inward. The looks like it was ripped. I'm not sure if it just broke or if it was thrown and got mangled in the process. I bent the belt backwards and it looks like all the rubber nobs on the inside of the belt are cracking and delaminating from the back of the belt. I only have 17 hrs on the machine and I don't turn with the tines in the ground.
2). Does anyone know were the hydro release is? I couldn't find one and the dealer didn't know.
Easiest way is to remove the drive chains. Take off master key.
I've changed the belts. you have to drop the trans down to change the belts.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I experienced tear-out twice in the last week & in both cases discovered a grub infestation. A quick google search on the DROID & we both learned that their pest control services were sloppy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
Easiest way is to remove the drive chains. Take off master key.
I've changed the belts. you have to drop the trans down to change the belts.
Thanks Rabbitman,

The dealer told me today that those levers on top of the hydros (they are made out of flat stock) are the hydro releases. But do to a design flaw they don't rotate far enough to release the hydro (they hit the pump before you can rotate them far enough). When I get the machine back from the dealer I'll look at them. Maybe I can shorten the levers so they rotate far enough.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its to bad that we shell out over $8k & we have to hold our breath over where the first problem is going to come from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW Andy View Post
Thanks Rabbitman,

The dealer told me today that those levers on top of the hydros (they are made out of flat stock) are the hydro releases. But do to a design flaw they don't rotate far enough to release the hydro (they hit the pump before you can rotate them far enough). When I get the machine back from the dealer I'll look at them. Maybe I can shorten the levers so they rotate far enough.
Faster to just disconnect chains!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Its to bad that we shell out over $8k & we have to hold our breath over where the first problem is going to come from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Speaking of which: After topdressing today I thought it might be good to aerate just a few little troublespots. Ever have that inclination that the little "freebie" is going to make ya wish you'd just left the machine on the trailer? After a couple turns I lost all left hand drive as I noticed the pile of chain laying on the ground. Looks like the masterlink just fell out. Wasn't that a fun thing, having to push the left side straight while trying to get a >13 hour meter machine up the trailer ramp. Maybe we the end users are the Research & Development division? Maybe it was in the fine print at the time of purchase and I neglected to read it? Do companies feel so rushed to get something to production they fail to run many field-test?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
I guess i like it..i think if the walkbehind version had been out I would have bought it first..more versatile. It doesn't like going across steep hills. I know the manual says 15 degrees or so max but I tried it on something steep that you would have to walk and it wasn't easy. Part of what happened (that I may go under unit and grind or cut out ) is a gusset that happens to line up with a row of tines and because of a little play in the spacing, the tine will hit the gusset .
So glad I went back & re-read this posting, cause I was wondering what was binding up under there. The chain tension is fine so I was stumped at the occasional popping sound. I'll look for the "gusset" to grind. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The set-screws on the outside drive shaft bearing pillow-blocks loosened allowing the Right side facing drive chain to rub behind the wheelwell & the masterlink came apart. With a new one ($2) it was back together. Something to keep an eye on.
During my hour lunch-break today I aerated a small corner-lot but afterward was told their phone just went out. Was only at 300 psi too. I suggested it must not have been buried to code, apologized & just made it back to the office 1 minute over. I hate rushing thru a job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll have to check mine..thanks...my first issue with binding was defintely the gusset getting rubbed....BTW can you even get your guage up to 1200 ?..mine seems to top out at about 400 but i can feel a definte drag the more i turn up the pressure, maybe the guage isn't working
Steve