Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
I run a Walker with a 7 bushel hopper. I did a 1.5 acre property last week that I had 63 hoppers full ......
I'm gonna say he did not mulch first. I know the Walker is good at vacuuming but I have found that my Toro 62 with atomic blades are better at mulching. Then I take the Walker and pick up. I found a reduction of at least 10:1 if not greater depending on leaf moisture. That 63 hoppers would be 6 or 7 after a good shredding. I found it takes less work doing that and its easier on my old Walker which is still up to the task but I like preserving it.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We provide optional curb-side pick up in the small town I live in.

The only other option is to burn the leaves.

I pretty much charge 1.50 a minute. So far there has been no charge above 25 bucks to pick up someones leaves from the curb.

So ultimately I can gross about 80 bucks to load the truck and with the leaf loader and just picking up piles, it takes about an hour to load the truck.

Now, it might be cheap to some, but my whole thought process was to give people a cost effective alternative to burning leaves in our small town. Ultimately I'm just trying to help out the community.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW ED View Post
I'm gonna say he did not mulch first. I know the Walker is good at vacuuming but I have found that my Toro 62 with atomic blades are better at mulching. Then I take the Walker and pick up. I found a reduction of at least 10:1 if not greater depending on leaf moisture. That 63 hoppers would be 6 or 7 after a good shredding. I found it takes less work doing that and its easier on my old Walker which is still up to the task but I like preserving it.
No, I didn't mulch first. My buddy is busting me all the time for that. I did try it on an area with poor grass, left the hopper door open for a while and ran over the leaves. The walker chops them up guit well and I had a mess. In order to pick up the small pieces I had to drop the deck to the ground and I don't like that. I don't like to see scalped grass. I prefer to just go over the lawn one time. I have onsite dumping on all the properties that I do and it doesen't matter how well everything gets chopped up.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
I really get a kick out of the guys from the midwest telling us guys in new england to mulch leaves--that would be an exercise in futility

I worked for three seasons in Minnesota, four seasons in South Carolina, and the rest of my life in Vermont--New England has the most leaves by far and you have to own and know how to manage several different leaf control systems--from blowers and leaf plows to bagging systems and most definitely a truck loader

We take care of properties all less than 1.5 acres and with a three man crew we clean between 4 to 6 a day
I know, really. Lets try to mulch up 4" of leaves on a 1/2 acre with 10 mature trees on it and have it looking nice.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In CT I advertise "Curbside leaf removal" and Fall cleanups. I always go to the property to view and kick the pile before I give a price. My first year in business I gave way too many quotes over the phone or did a quick drive by. Too many piles look fluffy and easy on top, only to find 1 month old drenched leaves underneath!!
My curbside pickups start at $50 and I've done one this year for $150 (3 full loads hauled to my local compost farm). It takes gas to drive to the property, gas to operate the leaf loader, gas to drive to dump the haul, and most importantly it takes your time. Add in wear and tear + insurance + MONEY IN YOUR POCKET. No curbside pickup is worth $20 to me. I figure most jobs cost minimal $10-15 just for my gas expenses. If someone thinks your prices are too high hand them a pile of leaf bags and tell them to have a great day!!!
2007 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP 17hp
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
Echo T755-H Backpack plower
JRCO dethatcher
6x14' Big Tex Open Trailer
Little Wonder 10hp blower
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
$300 for a clean up.....

that's part of your problem.

I service my clients weekly for fall clean ups and I charge them like $10/$15 extra for the 10/15 extra min I'm there dealing with the grass catcher and blowing out the mulch beds.
I service weekly at have always charged 2.5-3x their current rate for mulching leaves, ZERO complaints. It may only take me an extra 10 minutes the first time or two but then its up to 30-40minutes extra. I may take more in the begining but it evens out in the end. Works for me and ZERO complaints. Then a final clean up is done and $300 is just a start.....

I also started a thread on curbside removal. The thought of pouring money into a nice loader to have it destroyed because of the junk in the piles is not worth it.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
The thought of pouring money into a nice loader to have it destroyed because of the junk in the piles is not worth it.
In our case, we sent out 500 mailers locally to offer the service. In there it explicitly states that all debris and garbage must be removed. So far so good, the piles have been clean of debris.

As of right now, out of 15 households, only one was a waded mess of leaves that took more time to load.

Overall, yes, we're probable not charging enough for the service, but it was more giving back to the community type of deal as the local village can't afford leaf pick-up services.

Where we make our money with the leaf loader is fall cleanup work. We charge per man hour and come out pretty good knowing that others are out there charging half of what we do to do cleanups.

Ultimately too, we live in the lowest part of the town. When everyone burns and the air settles at night, then our house smells like a big fire even with the windows closed.

All the debris also goes to a local organic farm where they compost and re-use the leaf debris for animal bedding.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I service weekly at have always charged 2.5-3x their current rate for mulching leaves, ZERO complaints. It may only take me an extra 10 minutes the first time or two but then its up to 30-40minutes extra. I may take more in the begining but it evens out in the end. Works for me and ZERO complaints. Then a final clean up is done and $300 is just a start.....

I also started a thread on curbside removal. The thought of pouring money into a nice loader to have it destroyed because of the junk in the piles is not worth it.
well you live in a different state than me where the market is different for one thing.

another is it takes me 10/15 min extra each week all fall long. I never need to spend more than that.

each week the property is left virtually spotless so there really isn't a final clean up that's more than the weekly clean ups.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So you're calling out people for charging too much yet state that one area can support those rates..... Why call out someone in the first place when you admit it could be acceptable?......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
$300 for a clean up.....

that's part of your problem.

I service my clients weekly for fall clean ups and I charge them like $10/$15 extra for the 10/15 extra min I'm there dealing with the grass catcher and blowing out the mulch beds.
Personally we charge 330 MINIMUM to do fall cleanups, we come out twice, one mid leaf fall and one final cleanup.... This year sucked as we started later and basically had about 3/4 the leaves already down because of the crappy summer and early spring. BUT this makes the 2nd round much much faster, we also mulch a bit first then suck'er up and dump into our 550

I dont see much of a price difference to be honest....if we did like you do, we would have minimum of 5-6 weeks of cleaning up, 35$/ mow MINIMUM (our starting mowing price) plus $15 = $50 times 5-6 and your already at $250-300, plus your LOSING more money for drivetime in addition to increasing possibility of lawn damage (mowing grass thats not growing over and over again without much leaf cover)

As for this thread, im interested also in the leaf pick-up service as well, we get some new customers bauking at our prices (Customers we havent done work for) before seeing how much work we actually do and itd be nice to give a cheaper alternative. But first we need a leaf loader, seeing how money is short now, were waiting till next year and hopefully laying some serious cash down on a 20+ hp model giant vac

For the junk situation in the leaf piles, i would for sure put a clause in our contract thoroughly explaining that any trash found in the pile is subject to an extra charge.