Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
DOT registration is free then you will just need to go to the Dr and get a DOT physical , letter your truck add spare fuses ,fire extingisher and triangles.Everything you need is listed right here. http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MV.../26300-50T.htm
thanks alot sir . i couldnt find the part where it said lettering, fuses, fire extinguisher
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Hey guys,
i want to buy a dual axle trailer, but i need to be sure of marylands regulations first. i know not all states are the same, but i am seeking clarification from someoen who knows, on the following:

i want to get a dual axle trailer
the trailer needs to have breaks right?
do i need to install a break controller inside my vechile? (heard this costs less than $100)

my tundra weights weights around 6000lb and has gvwr of around 7400lb
the trailer will weigh about 1,400lb with a gvwr of 7,000lb
combined gvwr will be about 14,000LB. i know there is some regulation that has to do with the 10,000LB combined gvwr mark. does anyone know about this?
thanks so much
call the DOT and get a handbook. read it, then call them with your questions and get the correct answers.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsky View Post
call the DOT and get a handbook. read it, then call them with your questions and get the correct answers.

Call them three times and three different answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, wanted to give you some info. I talked to the guy in charge he said i needed:
1) DOT # (Free)
2) DOT # and business (or personal) name displayed on vechile with magnetic sign or any other way.
3) DOT med exam card
4) Fire extinguisher
5) Triangle kit

hopefully this info helps you all.
thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

So I'm in Maryland and I filled out the application form for the number. I have a ford f250 pickup and a 10K dump trailer. I called to check the status of the application and told them what I had. They told me that even though my gvw is over 10K, I do not need a MD DOT number because the truck that I am using to tow the trailer is under 10K AND I am only driving intrastate. My service area is only about a 10-20 mile radius. He told me that I still need to have the DOT med exam card, fire extinguisher and the triangle kit but I do not need the number. He said if I get pulled over for inspection to refer to title 22 section 404.3 paragraph B 2.

I know that the number is free but does that mean I will have more daily paperwork and safety audits if I have one?

Last edited by 4slservices; 03-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4slservices View Post
So I'm in Maryland and I filled out the application form for the number. I have a ford f250 pickup and a 10K dump trailer. I called to check the status of the application and told them what I had. They told me that even though my gvw is over 10K, I do not need a MD DOT number because the truck that I am using to tow the trailer is under 10K AND I am only driving intrastate. My service area is only about a 10-20 mile radius. He told me that I still need to have the DOT med exam card, fire extinguisher and the triangle kit but I do not need the number. He said if I get pulled over for inspection to refer to title 22 section 404.3 paragraph B 2.

I know that the number is free but does that mean I will have more daily paperwork and safety audits if I have one?
Do you remember the name of the officer you spoke with and where he was out of? thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Maryland Trailer Regulations?

I forget his name but i reached him by calling the number on the mddot application form. Are you applying for a number?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw the us dot application page and could not apply. it said enter your dot number on the dot application page. how can give my number when I am applying for a number?
I believe the man's name was ray who I spoke with.
thanks