Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I see what your saying absolutely I am just speaking from experiences I have had treating big mats of it last couple seasons at this time of year. The lawns where really able to get a jump on it come spring time. Lets face it one app now is not going to completly eradicate it thats why to me I am not worried about bare spots at all. Also One thing that really suprised me was how much grass was actually under the mats you just did not realize was there. Not saying anybodys wrong I just dont use the possibility of bare spots as a detterent from spraying when I can give the turf a fighting chance.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just thought I would give an update on this. I applied Celsius at max rate with Dismiss a 4oz/acre rate. It really did a job on it. It has withered away to the point you cannot see it. I had some warm weather which helped. The new customer is impressed. Dismiss really seemed to help as I treated another yard with buttonweed a little earlier without Dismiss and it did not do nearly as good. Of course I know it is not gone forever. I will get on it earlier next year.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

For the record, speedzone and quicksilver work wonders on buttonweed.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscapes View Post
For the record, speedzone and quicksilver work wonders on buttonweed.
Why combine the two? Do you know that SpeedZone has carfentrazone (ai in Quicksilver) already in it? What rates are you applying?

Sounds like a lot of carfentrazone. I would be concerned about off-target injury.

Speedzone also has wind speed restrictions that Celsius and Dismiss do not. 10 mph is a low cap and I wouldn't want to deal with any fines.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry I meant to say 24d and quicksilver.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Straight 2,4-D carries the same restrictions.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hear what you're saying, Superscapes. SpeedZone is carfentrazone (Quicksilver) + 2,4-D + MCPP + dicamba. I find that a lot of times these premixes are more expensive than buying the ingredients and mixing them myself -- and I'm not stuck with the ai rates they want to mix.

green, I believe the 2,4-D restriction is not less than 3 mph and not more than 15. The MCPP restriction is not more than 10. But, the 2,4-D label says that even if you're within the 3-15 mph restriction, you can't apply it if susceptible off-target plants are within 250 ft downwind. That's harsh.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know you had nothing to do with it, but then it is up to the EPA/state AG to determine and define exactly what is susceptible. We can thank people who spray when it is windy and use equipment prone to causing drift. Personally, I have been using ester herbicides for years, even in windy Hawaii. Never had a problem because I use drift reducing equipment and there are certain sets of weather conditions that I call no spray days. High winds, swirling winds or still and humid conditions are examples of no spray days.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want to get too far off topic, but I think you're right that the EPA crapped the bed on this. They don't at all take into account drift reduction techniques. If you use a chemlawn gun to make your apps, you've got bigger droplets that are less prone to drift than if you use flat fan nozzles. If you use a shielded sprayer, you're less prone to drift than non-shielded sprayers. But, EPA doesn't account for any of that.

End of rant
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Properly operated air inducted nozzles also minimize drift. Last time I had to spray a buttonweed infested lawn, that was treated with a combination of metsulfuron and Speedzone Southern. Don't let that drift. Air inducted nozzles operated at 40 PSI kept that mix out of the trees and adjacent flower beds.