Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about taking the discussion to the political forum, as it should be.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
How about taking the discussion to the political forum, as it should be.
Ditto, how in the hell I got sucked into that, I have no clue. Color me
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I just posted a zombie smiley, and a civil response to an inflammatory post.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Hey, I just posted a zombie smiley, and a civil response to an inflammatory post.
It wasn't inflammatory.... well, ok. Maybe it was inflammatory to zombies.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It can be considered that any political points are about as relevant as who poked who first in the back seat, while on a drive to the relatives. All that mattered way back when was that the poking would cease, or The Avenging Arm would sweep in from up front and knock heads together.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Um... OK.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Price gouging...what exactly does that mean? I charge more for emergency service and don't feel one bit guilty about it...it's essentially a priority service surcharge. If someone calls up and wants me to drop what I'm doing to come clear a tree that fell across their driveway so they can get to work, I'm gonna charge them more.

There's a LCO in my area that charges a lot to do anything. To have a leaf pile picked up is a minimum of $250. His mowing rates are a minimum of $45 and that gets you 15 minutes. After that it's $3/minute. Snow plowing he's at a minimum of $50 for the first 6 minutes and then $7/minute after that.

My point is, who is to say what gouging is when one company may charge 2 or 3 times what another one does. And as far as commodities go, price is ruled by supply and demand...when demand goes up price typically does too. If you want my last gallon of water after a natural disaster, you're gonna have to pay me a pretty hefty price for it!!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
What does a plumber charge for a sewage backup in the middle of the night? Ya think he charges the same amount?
Posted via Mobile Device
I can definitely attest to this. Years ago I used to work at night for an oil service and delivery company during the winters. I usually worked nights and the answering service would route emergency calls to me. Any calls at night, the hours were billed with a 50% surcharge. Run out of oil and need a delivery in the middle of the night? There was a night delivery surcharge, and if you ran out of oil then more than likely your burner would need to be primed and you probably sucked some gunk into the filter. So you also got an emergency service call at the same time for about $180.

The worse was when someone would call saying the boiler shut down and wouldn't come on. Before driving out I would always try to walk them through a few steps, check fuel level, check for power, check thermostats, most importantly check that emergency switch wasn't accidentally turned off. You would be surprised at the amount of times people would tell me "I checked the switch, it is on", then I would show up and it would be turned off. If I put my boots on in the middle of the night and drove out, I had to charge them. If the customer was an ***, I would simply turn it on and hand them the pill. If the customer was nice, or one of our existing customers then I would explain the situation to them and let them know I had to charge, then I would usually do a quick 15 minute service call and change there filters or something to give them there moneys worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
This gas shortage has opened my eyes to how vulnerable my area is to catastrophe, both natural and man made. Meaning if a major storm or terrorists wipe out NYC and the bridges long island and its 7.5 million people are on their own.
Posted via Mobile Device
You guys should be getting some help from us soon. Last night the state was saying that they were going to lower our out of state transportation of fuel regs so that distributors could start sending some of there fuel stored here to NY and NJ. Of course they'll use that as an excuse to rise our prices here next week though.

But if you guys want to talk about price gouging and exploiting situations. One of the divided highways heading into Boston from the south has some of the worse gas stations. There are a number of them who adjust there prices multiple times a day. What they will do is in the AM the ones on the Northbound side (rush hour traffic heading into the city) will be charging .10 more than the southbound side. In the afternoon, when the traffic is heading south out of the city, the northbound side is cheaper and the southbound side will be .10 more.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I heard that gas rationing for Nassau and Suffolk starts tomorrow. Odd plate numbers on odd days, even numbers on even days. Commercial vehicles exempt.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yea, here we go. Does this apply to diesel? my pickup doesnt have commercial plates but the dump does. I could just fill that 50 gal tank and transfer it to the pickup but thats a hassle