Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jesus. He lives! How you doing Wildman? This ritual of rain on Mondays and Tuesdays is gettin old.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

anything new as the weather gets cold as things start to slow down?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
anything new as the weather gets cold as things start to slow down?
x2. How are things going tthomass. Hope all is well
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We're moving along and doing well. I haven't been on here since July I see. Design/build has had another strong/steady year and we've landed some nice jobs. The biggest news has been the maintenance division. We offered mow/blow/go to about 85-90 customers last year and now we have 155-160 customers but we are now full maintenance...........we will pull your weeds, fertilize your lawn, cut your grass, mulch your beds, plant flowers, pruning, leaf removal, aeration and seeding etc etc. We've really done well with it and will do four times what we did last year. Our goal is to achieve 500 clients and we'll get there. A lot has been contributed to the guys we have.....they're the best we've ever had. Looking forward to 2013 as we develop a stronger maintenance division.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you find that the maintenance funnels business to the design build? Vice versa?
Also any updated pics of the fleet? Love your trucks and the way they are set up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It has given us some opportunities definitely. I started out design/build and swore I'd never get into maintenance but we had more and more people requesting it. One thing lead to another and this year I had as many as 7 employees working in maintenance. Crews are 2 guys and I've got a great sales guy. I saw the potential in maintenance and hired a heavy hitter to help me tackle it this year. I was prepared to break even with a bigger outlook on the horizon but we did more than I imagined......which is great. There's a lot of opportunities in front of us for next year and anticipate a rather explosive continued growth in maintenance. This winter we will be working on getting all of our ducks in a row, so-to-speak, to manage it.

I don't have any updated pics on my computer and last time I tried uploading (multiple times) the website wouldn't load it. I did add another SNG system onto an International low-pro that has been very useful. Also added a GMC one ton and put a flatbed on it. There's 1-2 box trucks in the works and probably another GMC one ton w/ flatbed. I say I'm done buying trucks but it never sticks.......grow or stand still and I'm too ADD to stand still.....
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Shoot i wish you we're around when i was truck shopping. I had my heart set on a low pro for the easy workability but couldnt find the right one. I settled on a 2002 international 4300 set up very similar to yours but without the SNG.

I keep saying i wont do maintenance because it seems everyone offers it. My area is pretty saturated, not sure how it compares to yours
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you have a successful landscape/hardscape year then you will need a tax deduction or pay taxes. Let the maintenance equipment, marketing etc be that deduction. Difference is it can pay you back a return. Pay the money, get a good guy to do it and look at it as an investment. Hopefully that investment grows for you. My International 4300 is a 2002 with almost 190k miles on it now and people think its new because of a paint job and washing it. The low-pro I bought is a '97 with a 7.3L. It's more of a backup and lighter duty/landscape truck.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry around here does mowing and there's a lot of competition in the spring but when the drought hits and things slow in the summer they all seem to disappear.

People buy from people...........go talk to people (home shows, neighbors etc). Its about trust and delivering.........then comes price.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With your maintenance customers are they a pay per service/cut (billed monthy)? Set amount per month (as in $200/month regularly scheduled payments)? Honestly just curious and not looking for a price just how it's structured.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
With your maintenance customers are they a pay per service/cut (billed monthly)? Set amount per month (as in $200/month regularly scheduled payments)? Honestly just curious and not looking for a price just how it's structured.
Was wondering the same thing myself. We don't have any customers that pay year round. We bill most at the end of the month for service and some have a credit card on file with us and are charged the day of service. Glad you are doing well.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET