Register free!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
It's easy to forget that pressure and force are two different things.

One example of a valve that absolutely depends on the diaphragm being the spring force is the Greenlawn angle valve, with its thick urethane diaphragm. Also, the infamous Toro Flo-Pro valve began its unhappy existence without a diaphragm spring, only to see one a few years later.
We see a lot of the GL valves here, as I think they are actually made here in Colorado if I remember correctly. The diaphragms do weaken over time, just like any of them. But they are stiffer than most, and rarely do I see a GL valve weeping due to a damaged diaphragm.

Of course I hate the Toro Flo-Pro, and see way too many of them. I went to one home that was having issues, and I took apart the valve. Noticed there was no spring above the diaphragm, so I found a spare, and put it in. Still issues with the valve not closing. Fought with it for 20 minutes (would have replaced it if it would have been convenient, but it is NOT an easy replacement due to location) and finally took the spring back out. Would not close again, so I replaced the solenoid, and right away it closed. That was my first experience with that valve not having a spring, and it wasted some of my time that morning, but now I know.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Flo Pro Springs

Too many problems....

Last edited by cppendergrast; 11-07-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: run on sentence
Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Flo Pro Springs

In the early days (89-90) of the flo pros, the local distributor gave me a case of them to try and they worked for about a year and then started failing.... found no springs in any of them. I put springs in and they worked for another year then the solenoids, with their "push in" connections, became a problem. Couldn't use the flow control with them. Had to convert to wired solenoids.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppendergrast View Post
In the early days (89-90) of the flo pros, the local distributor gave me a case of them to try and they worked for about a year and then started failing.... found no springs in any of them. I put springs in and they worked for another year then the solenoids, with their "push in" connections, became a problem. Couldn't use the flow control with them. Had to convert to wired solenoids.
I got into irrigation in '92 or '93. The first year, the company I worked for was subbed out on an install job for an apartment complex install, using all flo pros. I shudder to think how many have been swapped out. I hated that install.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got a call in the mid eighties about a failed hydraulic system. I told the client flat-out that I had no clue about this stuff. He said, "good, replace the system, I'm tired of "experts" fooling around with this and getting nothing done." We replaced the system, did up-grades, and they are still clients of Russ to this day.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The best reasons to use hydraulic controls are lightning and dirty water. Absent that, no real value.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
The best reasons to use hydraulic controls are lightning and dirty water. Absent that, no real value.
if copper tubing were used you can cross lightning off your list boots
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll leave off worrying about copper tubing systems, along with stressing a third reason for hydraulic valves, namely that no one could make a waterproof solenoid to save their lives.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Flo pros had to be one of the first jartop valves? I have had only a few run ins with flow pros, most of the time replacing them. Wish they made a retrofit like new guts, solenoids and a bonnet to fit and old flo pro body.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
Wish they made a retrofit like new guts, solenoids and a bonnet to fit and old flo pro body.
Why? That's like polishing a turd. When you're done you still have a turd. Cut those things out and replace em!