Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,765
Super Z Made New (Pictures)

2006 Hustler Super Z with newly installed Kohler 28 EFI engine, hydraulic pumps, wheel motors, Michigan Suspension Seat on flex base, blade spindles, electric clutch, wiring, relays, hoses, belts, control panel, and muffler. The deck was leveled and the pitch set at 1/4", any rust spots were prepped, primed and painted.

The mower really looked good before I cut a large area of very dusty grass and leaves with no wind to move the dust away.

I will say this mower starts and runs better than my new Super Z with the 35 carburetored Kawasaki. Fuel injection is by far superior, which people should realize from the vehicles they drive, I doubt seriously anyone would say they prefer a carburetor over fuel injection.

I've seen remarks made about Hustler's HyperDrive Hydraulic System being smoother than the old style hydraulics, since I own both a new HyperDrive System, and now new pumps and wheel motors from the old style system, I can tell you without reservation this is not true. My old mower operates just as smoothly as the new mower, the only difference being is the old hydraulic system is somewhat freer feeling (which my wife likes better), it takes a little more effort to move the steering levers on the HyperDrive system.

I have more blow-out on the new VX4 deck by far, and yes, I know you can drop the skirt down into the "A" hole position to help this, but I've heard others speak of hitting objects and bending the skirt. I try to run fast enough to leave the blow-out behind, but in many places this is impossible, and now with the dry weather and leaves to move, I will use the XR-7 deck which does an excellent job with no blow-out.

I checked the speed and actually picked up 1/2 mph with the new engine, whereas with the new pumps and wheel motors and old engine I had lost the same 1/2 mph. This means the mower is back to its original speed of 13.2 mph.

I would love to hear the theories on how the old engine could not achieve the same speed; even with both engines turning the same rpms (3650)?

I attaching a photo which is not doing the cut justice due to grass being in a very dry state, while also going into dormancy from cold weather. I am moving leaves, and the XR-7 deck is doing an exceptional job of breaking them into smaller pieces and moving them completely out of the cut in one pass.

I am still extremely impressed by the older style XR-7 deck, and the ride with flex forks, flex seat base, and new Michigan Suspension Seat is excellent, even at the 13+ mph top speed, and yes, contrary to popular belief this mower will cut grass at its top speed and do an exceptional job.

I noticed on the Hustler web site they have now lowered their Super Z speed to 14 mph on the Parker wheel motor machine, and raised the speed to 16 mph on the HyperDrive machine I have. How they do this I honestly don't know, I have yet to check, or have anyone else check a Super Z that achieved its advertised top speed. My old mower is at 13.2 mph, and the new HyperDrive machine is at 14.2 mph, these speeds are not checked by GPS (which will get you to within 1/2 mph depending on satellite location), but are checked by distance and time, the same as it done when calculating drag car speed, the most accurate means possible.
Attached Images
         
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 PM
LandFakers's Avatar
LandFakers LandFakers is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 5,756
Looks good, nice and clean. Those Hustler sure are fast. My exmark does 8mph.
__________________
Rob

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM
LibertyFarmLandscaping's Avatar
LibertyFarmLandscaping LibertyFarmLandscaping is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NE TX
Posts: 946
Looks great. Have you tried the new gramar seats? They are awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Looks great. Have you tried the new gramar seats? They are awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
No I haven't, but they sure look very comfortable!
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 PM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
2006 Hustler Super Z with newly installed Kohler 28 EFI engine, hydraulic pumps, wheel motors, Michigan Suspension Seat on flex base, blade spindles, electric clutch, wiring, relays, hoses, belts, control panel, and muffler. The deck was leveled and the pitch set at 1/4", any rust spots were prepped, primed and painted.

The mower really looked good before I cut a large area of very dusty grass and leaves with no wind to move the dust away.

I will say this mower starts and runs better than my new Super Z with the 35 carburetored Kawasaki. Fuel injection is by far superior, which people should realize from the vehicles they drive, I doubt seriously anyone would say they prefer a carburetor over fuel injection.

I've seen remarks made about Hustler's HyperDrive Hydraulic System being smoother than the old style hydraulics, since I own both a new HyperDrive System, and now new pumps and wheel motors from the old style system, I can tell you without reservation this is not true. My old mower operates just as smoothly as the new mower, the only difference being is the old hydraulic system is somewhat freer feeling (which my wife likes better), it takes a little more effort to move the steering levers on the HyperDrive system.

I have more blow-out on the new VX4 deck by far, and yes, I know you can drop the skirt down into the "A" hole position to help this, but I've heard others speak of hitting objects and bending the skirt. I try to run fast enough to leave the blow-out behind, but in many places this is impossible, and now with the dry weather and leaves to move, I will use the XR-7 deck which does an excellent job with no blow-out.

I checked the speed and actually picked up 1/2 mph with the new engine, whereas with the new pumps and wheel motors and old engine I had lost the same 1/2 mph. This means the mower is back to its original speed of 13.2 mph.

I would love to hear the theories on how the old engine could not achieve the same speed; even with both engines turning the same rpms (3650)?

I attaching a photo which is not doing the cut justice due to grass being in a very dry state, while also going into dormancy from cold weather. I am moving leaves, and the XR-7 deck is doing an exceptional job of breaking them into smaller pieces and moving them completely out of the cut in one pass.

I am still extremely impressed by the older style XR-7 deck, and the ride with flex forks, flex seat base, and new Michigan Suspension Seat is excellent, even at the 13+ mph top speed, and yes, contrary to popular belief this mower will cut grass at its top speed and do an exceptional job.

I noticed on the Hustler web site they have now lowered their Super Z speed to 14 mph on the Parker wheel motor machine, and raised the speed to 16 mph on the HyperDrive machine I have. How they do this I honestly don't know, I have yet to check, or have anyone else check a Super Z that achieved its advertised top speed. My old mower is at 13.2 mph, and the new HyperDrive machine is at 14.2 mph, these speeds are not checked by GPS (which will get you to within 1/2 mph depending on satellite location), but are checked by distance and time, the same as it done when calculating drag car speed, the most accurate means possible.
The "A hole position"??? Oh no he di-ent! Sorry couldn't resist.
Man a fuel injected engine is so much better than a carbed engine there's no comparison. Ease of starting and efficiency can't be beat. As you said, anyone with a fuel inj engine in their car or truck has got to realize that. Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
LibertyFarmLandscaping's Avatar
LibertyFarmLandscaping LibertyFarmLandscaping is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NE TX
Posts: 946
Yes, they are very comfy. I tried one out at Retrodog's yesterday all over the rough area behind his shop. It was very nice!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:22 AM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Yes, they are very comfy. I tried one out at Retrodog's yesterday all over the rough area behind his shop. It was very nice!
What exactly did you run at Retrodog's?
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
From the info I read the Parker 280 wheel motors on the Hyper drive turn 266 RPM where the old White unit turned 250 that is why the new mower goes faster. If a mower loses speed part of it could be worn tread on the tires making the wheel no go as far when it turns a RPM but that is only a slight difference. More than likely the pumps are down on pressure not allowing the wheel motors to spin up all the way? I have not researched it so I cannot say.

I am glad to hear this report because when I tried a new Super for me I realized my XR7 unit could do the same and probably more as the new mower if I updated it.

From what I can tell a Generac uses the same whole pattern as the SB Kohler makes more power than a BB Kaw or Vangaurd and they are testing fuel injection from what I am told + they are made in America.

The drive is easily updated on the old mower as well and it is like 150 pounds to 200 pounds lighter and lower so for steep mowing it should work better.

Yes the new mower is better but for me not really.

You like speed you should try the 26's on the rear, that would be one awesome Z.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
From the info I read the Parker 280 wheel motors on the Hyper drive turn 266 RPM where the old White unit turned 250 that is why the new mower goes faster. If a mower loses speed part of it could be worn tread on the tires making the wheel no go as far when it turns a RPM but that is only a slight difference. More than likely the pumps are down on pressure not allowing the wheel motors to spin up all the way? I have not researched it so I cannot say.

I am glad to hear this report because when I tried a new Super for me I realized my XR7 unit could do the same and probably more as the new mower if I updated it.

From what I can tell a Generac uses the same whole pattern as the SB Kohler makes more power than a BB Kaw or Vangaurd and they are testing fuel injection from what I am told + they are made in America.

The drive is easily updated on the old mower as well and it is like 150 pounds to 200 pounds lighter and lower so for steep mowing it should work better.

Yes the new mower is better but for me not really.

You like speed you should try the 26's on the rear, that would be one awesome Z.
Smaller tires would give you a higher top speed. Larger tires would be slower but give you more power. Think of your dirt bike or mountain bike, bigger rear sprocket=easier up hills, smaller back sprocket=higher speed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Smaller tires would give you a higher top speed. Larger tires would be slower but give you more power. Think of your dirt bike or mountain bike, bigger rear sprocket=easier up hills, smaller back sprocket=higher speed.
GMLC-

That would be true if you were changing the gearing in the pumps/motors because it would affect how hard the engine has to work to move the wheels/tires, but just going to larger wheels and tires will bump up the top speed slightly, though it should also take slightly longer to get to top speed. The size difference isn't enough to make that much difference in real world performance in reality.


A good example of this is with the JD HD garden tractors, the 425 vs the 445. They are virtually identical in all aspects except for rear tire size. Both use the exact same rear end and drive shaft from engine to trans, and run at the same engine RPM's (they also use the same engine with the only difference being the 445 is fuel injected and runs at higher compression to make its 2 extra HP), but the 425 comes with 23X10.50X12 tires, and the 445 comes with 26X12X12 tires. The 445 has a top speed of 8.5 mph while the 425 has a top speed of 7.5.


Realslowww-


The only real and appreciable advantage that puppy would see with the slightly larger tires would be an even better ride.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G
I can also tell by looking back to see how they're hanging and often reach back and feel them to see how firm they are.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.12271 seconds with 10 queries